You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×
Our response time is longer than usual currently. We're working to answer users as quickly as possible and thank you for your continued patience.

I'm trying to get this crash to occur again. I can't share the file, so I'm doing some isolating instead and haven't managed to retrigger (on a separate file)... Edit: but it came close. Bearing in mind, about half of these Layers are Symbols, I think? I'm not sure how it counts Layers where Symbols are involved specifically...But many of them have Symbols embedded underneath a "true" Layer.

image.png.7ea10913fc2b684be4b2c1946c1d30f6.png

I thought that the crash might also happen more often because I can be impatient and hit the Play button twice, though with  subsequent tests I ruled this out as a crash still occurred. Specifically, it occurs after loading "Background Only", when I go to run "Whole Sheet", it takes a lot of time and then consistently crashed. For whatever reason, with future iterations of this file, it stopped crashing.

This leads me to my next suggestion that might help with user observations:

Side criticism/UI  request: We can't tell if it's "running" at all (short of fan spin) which may lead to additional presses on different States and I really suggest to add UI feedback to the ▶️ button so that we can very clearly see it is in a loading state.. and then disable that button in the UI until that specific instance is finished loading since it is so CPU-intense. Then re-enable that play button....

Here is the EV log and a .DMP file:
image.png.46006370161101ad09f48f6aa51e78f1.png

Application: Designer.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException
   at Serif.Interop.Persona.CommandReflectedItem.Execute(System.Object)
   at Serif.Interop.Persona.Commands.DelegateCommand.Execute(System.Object)
   at MS.Internal.Commands.CommandHelpers.CriticalExecuteCommandSource(System.Windows.Input.ICommandSource, Boolean)
   at System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ButtonBase.OnClick()
   at System.Windows.Controls.Button.OnClick()
   at System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ButtonBase.OnMouseLeftButtonUp(System.Windows.Input.MouseButtonEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(System.Delegate, System.Object)
   at System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandler(System.Object, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(System.Object, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs, Boolean)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.ReRaiseEventAs(System.Windows.DependencyObject, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs, System.Windows.RoutedEvent)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.OnMouseUpThunk(System.Object, System.Windows.Input.MouseButtonEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(System.Delegate, System.Object)
   at System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandler(System.Object, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(System.Object, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs, Boolean)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(System.Windows.DependencyObject, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseTrustedEvent(System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessStagingArea()
   at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessInput(System.Windows.Input.InputEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.Input.InputProviderSite.ReportInput(System.Windows.Input.InputReport)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.ReportInput(IntPtr, System.Windows.Input.InputMode, Int32, System.Windows.Input.RawMouseActions, Int32, Int32, Int32)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.FilterMessage(IntPtr, MS.Internal.Interop.WindowMessage, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.InputFilterMessage(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
   at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(System.Object)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
   at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
   at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(System.Object)
   at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(System.Windows.Window)
   at Designer.Application.Main(System.String[])

32c20df3-6069-461d-a9d3-1b2130fbf2c6.dmp

8 hours ago, Gabe said:

I've had one single crash when using the Apply button but could not replicate it again. So I wonder if yours is related (maybe first time you Play after a certain function?). 

That's very possible. Every single crash occurred after making the *First set/Whole sheet active after creating the second State/Background Only active (and after its first use). On file reload(unsaved recovery), sometimes the first State was still available and not the second. (Edit): So I had to recreate it and tried running both again (2nd first, 1st second), then it would crash. The crash always occurred switching away from Second to First. It would explain why those States became stable later on.

Edit:  @Gabe I made the post hopefully much clearer. It was confusing to read that mess when I reread it with more awake eyes. Sorry about that! I think I will test again now with your consideration in mind and see if I can get you an actual file...

I can report that at least on my current file, if I delete the States and readd them, just running the second State for "Background only" caused me to crash to desktop. So it does seem when the States are brand new, then the crash occurs more reliably.