You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

RAW files and Affinity photo

When I try to open a RAW file from Photos using Affinity Photo, the file becomes a JPEG file. But when I work on a photo in Photos usinf Affinity extension, I am working on a RAW file. What am I doing wrong with Affinity photo?

• Staff

Hi lynxar,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

There's no way to open a RAW file from Apple Photos in Affinity Photo directly. You have to do it manually: in Apple Photos go to menu File ▸ Export ▸ Export Unmodified Original.... Then open it in Affinity Photo, edit the image and save in your preferred format. To import it back to Apple Photos go to menu File ▸ Import... and select the file or drag it from the Finder to Apple Photos.

There's a third party extension (called External Editors) that is able to send the RAW file directly from Apple Photos to Affinity Photo but then there's no way to send the result back to Apple Photos automatically.

When you work in Apple Photos and edit your images all changes are also saved as JPG.

MEB

that is great and it works! The RAW files opened in Develop Persona which I have not used before. Working on RAW files in Persona I expected to have the choice of tools as in Affinity Photo. The choice is limited. Is there a reason for this? Is it better to work in Photo on JPEG files, which is against the advice of professional photographers because of the damage to JPEG files and loss of quality?