You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×
Our response time is longer than usual currently. We're working to answer users as quickly as possible and thank you for your continued patience.

Layer State may have something amiss with successful query

When setting up a simple layer state test, I think there is something amiss when the returned layers to a query don't all become visible, when they should.

In the example attached, the Green Tag is selected and all the relevant layers are showing green, but only the Master layer of the two artboards becomes visible.

I think I have the query right. In this case, the Green tags reference the two SP layers, SP1 and SP2. I'll show the second screenshot where I have manually turned on the child layers.

I was expecting that all of the layers tagged green would be turned on as a result of the query. 

Screenshot 1

Screenshot2024-01-11at15_16_04.thumb.png.2f18c4ad0492757b5f1dbf4b02a7cc95.png

Screenshot 2

Screenshot2024-01-11at15_25_14.thumb.png.e12b6b90f93d63b0ac35516f50e35cfe.png

iPad Mini 6.  256GB. My GoTo design platform.

M2 Mac Mini. 24GB. LG 4K Monitor. + Samsung Monitor 2.

Windows 10 Toshiba. Windows 11 Parallels on Mac.

Publisher. Designer. Photo for Mac, PC & iOS. FCP, DaVinci, CapCut, Luma Fusion. etc.

@Affinity-Inspiration on YouTube.

There we go.

Something I'm doing wrong I'm assuming.. 🙂

Robert

Layer States.afdesign

Publisher. Designer. Photo for Mac, PC & iOS. FCP, DaVinci, CapCut, Luma Fusion. etc.

Hi @Affinity-Inspiration,

I think it's simply because, for the queries themselves, you don't have any of the layers enabled on the artboards when they're set to show which you are using in conjunction with Add show / hide others so clicking hide for any query will show the other three states and clicking show will hide the objects for the colour selected...

Affinity Designer 2.5.3 | Affinity Photo 2.5.3 | Affinity Publisher 2.5.3
MacBook Pro M3 Max, 36 GB Unified Memory, macOS Sonoma 14.5, Magic Mouse

54 minutes ago, Hangman said:

I think it's simply because, for the queries themselves, you don't have any of the layers enabled on the artboards when they're set to show which you are using in conjunction with Add show / hide others so clicking hide for any query will show the other three states and clicking show will hide the objects for the colour selected...

Hmmm. So that’s what I’m stumbling over I guess. I don’t find that very intuitive. If I’m looking for all my Green layers I’d expect it to return and highlight all my Green layers.

16 hours ago, Affinity-Inspiration said:

Hmmm. So that’s what I’m stumbling over I guess. I don’t find that very intuitive. If I’m looking for all my Green layers I’d expect it to return and highlight all my Green layers.

Let me know if the attached is what you're expecting...

In the attached file clicking the 'Show' icon in the States panel for the respective colour will show those objects and likewise clicking the 'Hide' icon will hide them...

Layer States v2.afdesign

Having said that I can't seem to get 'And show / hide others' to work correctly which I think is likely what you're seeing as well...

In the Show state, despite the relevant Layers being present, i.e., shown and using the same tag colour when the state is captured the relevant Artboards are shown but not the layers contained within the Artboards, however, the 'Hide' state seems to work correctly...

What is slightly confusing is that 'Select Same Tag Colour' doesn't seem to work as expected...

If you add different colour rectangles on the artboards, so e.g., Green on the English, Blue on the Japanese, Red on the Chinese and Yellow on the Spanish then Select one of the Green rectangles followed by 'Select Same Fill Colour' it, as expected, selects only the two green rectangles but if you select a Layer with a Green Tag and then use 'Select same Tag Colour' it selects every layer with a tag colour regardless of the tag colour set for the layer which doesn't seem right...

This doesn't appear to work in Photo 2.0.4 either so either we're both missing something or it's a bug...

16 hours ago, Hangman said:

Hi, I'm afraid that I don't follow you. Your video demonstrates exactly what I mean.

When I enable the Red query for example, the two artboards are enabled, but not their child layers. The artboards are tagged Red, as are the child layers. There are in fact 4 Red tag layers. But only the two artboards are enabled and shown, but the child layers are left unselected even though they too are red tags by default.

Nothing I do will show them except physically, manually, enabling them.

In fact, if I enable the child layers, then the subsequent search turns them off again.

4 minutes ago, Affinity-Inspiration said:

When I enable the Red query for example, the two artboards are enabled, but not their child layers. The artboards are tagged Red, as are the child layers. There are in fact 4 Red tag layers. But only the two artboards are enabled and shown, but the child layers are left unselected even though they too are red tags by default.

I've just updated my previous post to reflect this and I agree...

It appears as though 'And show / hide others' isn't working as expected, it seems to work when the state is set to 'Hide' but not when it's set to 'Show', though I see the same behaviour in Photo 2.0.4 as well so either we're both missing something or this is a bug...

48 minutes ago, Hangman said:

I've just updated my previous post to reflect this and I agree...

It appears as though 'And show / hide others' isn't working as expected, it seems to work when the state is set to 'Hide' but not when it's set to 'Show', though I see the same behaviour in Photo 2.0.4 as well so either we're both missing something or this is a bug...

Thanks, not just me then 🙂 Lets see where it ends up.

• Staff

I think the issue here, is that the objects inside the Artboards 'appear' to be tagged but, if you right-click them, you will see they aren't. The bug here I think is that inherited tags should also be considered by the queries but they currently are not!

I'll get this logged.

8 minutes ago, Chris B said:

I think the issue here, is that the objects inside the Artboards 'appear' to be tagged but, if you right-click them, you will see they aren't.

Yes, that fixes the issue... I'd never spotted that before since it initially appears as though the child layers are auto-tagged with the same colour as their parent...

Hi @Chris B,

Another side effect of this bug is that while you can select the tag colour for any layer, if an Artboard has a particular tag colour e.g., blue but an object on that artboard uses a different tag colour e.g., green, even when tag colours are physically applied to inherited layers if you create a Query named Green which uses the tag colour green in conjunction with And show / hide others this means enabling Show for the Green query won't work for all objects with a green tag colour because while the child layer for the artboard with the blue tag colour has a green tag colour, its parent, the artboard isn't shown because it has a blue tag colour...

I'm unsure if this is considered expected behaviour for And show / hide others in this scenario but using the same setup still allows Select Same > Tag Colour to correctly select the relevant objects across the multiple artboards which makes sense but I guess it restricts you to using the same tag colour for both parent and child layers...

Sample File

Layer States v3.afdesign

• Staff
2 hours ago, Hangman said:

Yes, that fixes the issue... I'd never spotted that before since it initially appears as though the child layers are auto-tagged with the same colour as their parent...

Same here. Our friendly neighbourhood @Sean P spotted it :) 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

The issue "Layer States: Inherited tags are not considered by the query" (REF: AF-1745) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.4.0.2256".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.