You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bleed lines not showing on document Affinity Designer

41 minutes ago, Fixx said:

It would be fancy if you could give negative values for margin... but no, 0 is smallest.

If and when Serif ever adds bleed lines, being able to setting margins to a zero value would be moot.

• 1 month later...

Ummmm, I'm puzzled.

I too was disappointed about the lack of bleed, having come back to learn Designer after some time away. Reading here after this I think that the solution is actually there, but is simply not visible...

I set up an A4 page, and then turned off "Clip-to-Canvas" using the /-key so that I could see objects off the page.

I then added 5mm bleed guides using the 'Guides' panel that are outside the page (-5mm, 215mm etc), and they are not visible, but a placed object snaps to them just as to any visible guide, and the vertical/horizontal (Red/Green) snap-guide indicators appear to aid alignment as well, so bleed images are a cinch too.

The only missing thing is a visible bleed guide, but any suitably coloured page+bleed rectangle gives easy reference to work with and the functionality is all there.

I understand that negative margins aren't possible, but negative guides are, although they aren't visible.

I've attached a sample file.

Bleeding.afdesign

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, I am really patient and I love Affinity but some base fonction it's missing, good when you create a illustration from scratch, but maybe you need to add a hardcore prepress/printer graphic guy in your team a lot a details miss out. I will stay with Aff and have hope in you, but read and listen the community... its not the first time a pretty important little feature its missing and the post have age ago, the performance, stability and the vision is really nice but, some tiny detail who gave us huge waste off time and cost us money... and its no good for business

• Staff

Hi Mischugo, Murex-13,
Only the bleed preview on canvas is missing - which can be recreated with a stroked rectangle. To add bleed to the exported file, first set it up going to File ▸ Document Setup..., Bleed tab and enter the value you want, then, on export (PDF), click the More button and tick Include Bleed. You will find other printers marks there as well. 
Bleed preview will be added in a future update.

@Murex-13,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

On 1/3/2018 at 11:35 AM, MEB said:

You may need to go to menu View ▸ View Mode and uncheck/untick Clip to Canvas (on non-artboard based documents) to be able to view the rectangle stroke outside the canvas. For artboard based documents (Affinity Designer only) just make sure the rectangle layer is outside the respective artboard layer in the Layers panel. 

thanks for this clever work-around while we wait for proper implementation of bleed preview.

Make sure to turn off the preview of any rectangle or marks that are off the page indicating bleed before exporting to PDF.

7 minutes ago, hannah said:

thanks for this clever work-around while we wait for proper implementation of bleed preview.

• 2 weeks later...

So 2 years since this has been brought up and no progress on the visible bleed?

I came to Affinity as I heard the dev team were highly responsive in implementing features that the customer base needed. It's a little disappointing to see such an obvious feature overlooked and abandoned. Is there any future plans to have the visible bleed? I understand that you guys may be really busy with Publisher but this should be a day one, week one feature.

On 6/13/2018 at 3:44 PM, MEB said:

Only the bleed preview on canvas is missing - which can be recreated with a stroked rectangle.

This issue is making Affinity look amateurish. It's things like this and a few other problems which are going to force me to abandon Affinity products: it's bad enough that they weren't picked up in beta testing, but to drag your feet fixing something as simple, but vital as this diminishes confidence in your ability to produce professional software. 

It's not an issue with not being picked up in beta testing. It's not a bug. Bleed extent preview was simply not ever added. But as can be seen in this and other threads, that lack has been pointed out for years.

Until such time as it is added, the work-around if one needs to see bleed extents works.

Its lack is certainly not enough for me to not use it.

• Staff

Hi Chris_Pearson,
Thank you for your feedback. I don't think Affinity apps look amateurish despite these "issues". This is not a bug per si as Mike pointed out. It's something we still have to add to the app along with other improvements/features that were planned from beginning but that due lack of time/dev resources and other reasons weren't possible to concretize yet. Affinity apps are still in its infancy compared to other solutions on the market. Bear with us while we get there.

• 4 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, cleay said:

Is there any hack to show the bleed area on a document using artboards? I presume this is also on the to-do list for the update?

Yes. Do the rectangle without fill but with an outline in whatever color works for you. Drag it up out of the artboard layer.

capture-002023.png

I am also intersted in seeing the bleed for documents using artboards.

@MikeW Drawing a bleed line is useful to snap to but doesn't allow you to see the bleed since turning off "Clip to Canvas" is not available when working with artboards. The only way to see the bleed is to temporarily increase the size of the artboard itself. This is all very cumbersome.

3 hours ago, ElwoodP said:

@MikeW Drawing a bleed line is useful to snap to but doesn't allow you to see the bleed since turning off "Clip to Canvas" is not available when working with artboards.

Did you do as he suggested & drag it up out of the artboard layer?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

@R C-R Yes, I have placed it outside the artboard layer, the problem isn't making this bleed outline visible. The problem is that it is not possible to show the content in the bleed area without making the artboard bigger. Being able to see a bleed outline indicator is not so useful if you can't see the actual content in the bleed area.

12 hours ago, ElwoodP said:

I am also intersted in seeing the bleed for documents using artboards.

@MikeW Drawing a bleed line is useful to snap to but doesn't allow you to see the bleed since turning off "Clip to Canvas" is not available when working with artboards. The only way to see the bleed is to temporarily increase the size of the artboard itself. This is all very cumbersome.

Oh, I agree about viewable bleed with artboards. I have no idea what Serif was thinking.

Because whatever type of element can snap to the rectangle, though, I trust it's there and for me what's equally important is whether what is viewable on the page is what I want.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the workaround suggestions for this issue. However the fact remains that this is supposed to be a professional design programme, it's been on the market for several years and a simple, but fundamental feature isn't implemented properly.

Bleed is even more important in a page layout app. I've just downloaded the beta of Affinity Publisher and we have the same situation: I can set bleed but I can't see it. Is this some kind of blind spot for Affinity? It's almost as if they don't know what it's for or how it's used. "Bear with us while we get there" certainly won't be good enough for a page layout app.

1 hour ago, Chris_Pearson said:

Thanks for all the workaround suggestions for this issue. However the fact remains that this is supposed to be a professional design programme, it's been on the market for several years and a simple, but fundamental feature isn't implemented properly.

Bleed is even more important in a page layout app. I've just downloaded the beta of Affinity Publisher and we have the same situation: I can set bleed but I can't see it. Is this some kind of blind spot for Affinity? It's almost as if they don't know what it's for or how it's used. "Bear with us while we get there" certainly won't be good enough for a page layout app.

That will be in the next APub beta release. My assumption is that when the 1.7x release for AD happens, then it will be there too.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just wondered if this update had been implemented yet, and if not when is it likely to be? I'm a newbie to Affinity having used Adobe for about 12 years... As a graphic designer/illustrator setting the bleed is one of the first things I need to do when opening a new document for print and the workarounds to see what is actually on the bleed area seem quite complicated for a beginner! 

• Staff

Hi CNicholson,
Yes, bleed preview was already implemented for version 1.7 which is currently in Beta. You can download it from here (for Mac) and from here (for Windows) if you want to give it a try. To display the bleed guide on canvas (in the Beta) go to menu View ▸ Show Bleed.