You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi All

I'm about to sell my iMac and intend to run an erase and clean install which obviously this will mean I'll lose AP. I know I am able to install AP on 5 differs Macs but don't want to waste one. So is there anyway I could uninstall and still have 5 available?

Affinity apps are bought through the Mac App Store, so the license is tied to your Apple ID, not to any particular Mac.

According to the MAS license, that means you can install & use it on any Mac you own or control. There is no 5 computer limit, at least none I can find in those licensing provisions.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hi R C-R

Thanks for your help but it according to this reply it does seem AP is limited to 5 installs.

Hi MDC,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

You can install Affinity Photo on up to five computers for home use or two for commercial use. Just make sure you login in the App Store app with the same Apple ID you used to purchase the software in the first computer.

As I understand it, 5 is the maximum number of computers you can have it installed on simultaneously at any one time for private use, not the total number of times you can ever install it.
So in that sense you can’t actually “wast one”. Uninstall it from your current computer and you have it installed on 0 computers and so are free to put it on up to 5 others, if you have them.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

Hi R C-R

Thanks for your help but it according to this reply it does seem AP is limited to 5 installs.

Yes, I have seen MEB mention that. However, I can find nothing in the MAS Terms & Conditions that says that. For example, from the U.S. Mac App Store Product Usage Rules, there is the following (emphasis added):

(i) If you are an individual acting in your personal capacity, you may download and use an application from the Mac App Store (“Mac App Store Product”) for personal, non-commercial use on any Apple-branded products running Mac OS X (“Mac Computer”) that you own or control.

(ii) If you are a commercial enterprise or educational institution, you may download a Mac App Store Product for use by either (a) a single individual on each of the Mac Computer(s) used by that individual that you own or control or (b) multiple individuals on a single shared Mac Computer that you own or control. For example, a single employee may use a Mac App Store Product on both the employee’s desktop Mac Computer and laptop Mac Computer, or multiple students may serially use a Mac App Store Product on a single Mac Computer located at a resource center or library. For the sake of clarity, each Mac Computer used serially by multiple users requires a separate license.

Of course, the rules may be different in other countries, but the U.K. version is essentially the same & "own or control" seems to be Apple's only operative requirement in most parts of the world.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Go into the AppSore and choose menu "Store/Sign out" and you are done. Your machine will be deleted from the list of accepted machines.

If you forgot this, the new owner will not be able to use your applications, because he has not your credentials.

If you want to start a new list of machines, log into your Apple account:

https://appleid.apple.com/account/home

Here you can delete every registered machine/device

When you set up your computer you have to authorize (in iTunes) that computer to be able to purchase from the Mac App store and THAT limit is 5 computers. So on the computer you are selling, go into iTunes and under one of the tabs across the top, you will see "DEAUTHORISE THIS COMPUTER" therby still leaving you with 5 computers you can authorize.

When you set up your computer you have to authorize (in iTunes) that computer to be able to purchase from the Mac App store and THAT limit is 5 computers. So on the computer you are selling, go into iTunes and under one of the tabs across the top, you will see "DEAUTHORISE THIS COMPUTER" therby still leaving you with 5 computers you can authorize.

That 5 computer limit applies to purchases of music, movies, TV shows, & music videos through the iTunes Store ("iTunes Eligible Content"), to iBooks Store items, to automatic downloads of same, & to iTunes Music Match -- collectively known as "Eligible Content" -- but not to Mac App Store purchases.

Again referring to the U.S. TERMS AND CONDITIONS document, for example in the "AUTOMATIC DELIVERY AND DOWNLOADING PREVIOUS PURCHASES" section, there is this (emphasis added):

Association of Associated Devices is subject to the following terms:

(i) You may auto-download Eligible Content or download previously-acquired Eligible Content from an Account on up to 10 Associated Devices, provided no more than 5 are iTunes-authorized computers.

(ii) An Associated Device can be associated with only one Account at any given time.

(iii) You may switch an Associated Device to a different Account only once every 90 days.

(iv) You may download previously-acquired free content onto an unlimited number of devices while it is free on the App and Book Services, but on no more than 5 iTunes-authorized computers.

The above terms (i) to (iv) do not apply to App Store Products.

It can be very confusing because all the different kinds of Apple store purchases are covered in the same Apple Terms & Conditions legal documents but the 5 computer/10 total "Associated Devices" limit applies only to "Eligible Content" -- effectively anything purchased from the iTunes Store using the OS X iTunes app (or the iOS or tvOS equivalents), or from the iBooks Store using the OS X (or iOS) iBooks app, but not to items purchased from the Mac App Store using the OS X App Store app.

This is why you will find the "Authorize This Computer" & "Deauthorise This Computer" items on the Store menu in the OS X iTunes & iBooks apps, but not in the Store menu in the OS X App Store app. Whether it is an OS X app or an OS X version, or an update for either one, if it was software obtained through MAS, you only need to sign in to that store with your Apple ID & password to download, install, & use those items on every Mac you use or control (subject to the previously quoted Usage Rules, of course).

Affinity Photo 

Go into the AppSore and choose menu "Store/Sign out" and you are done. Your machine will be deleted from the list of accepted machines.

Not true. In the OS X App Store app you can sign out of your account any time you want without that deleting your Mac from the list of Apple devices associated with your Apple ID. (You can check this for yourself by signing out & then logging into your Apple account at

https://appleid.apple.com/account/home& checking the signed in devices list.)

However, as explained in Check your Apple ID device list to see where you‘re signed in, this may affect which items you can see in your Apple ID list, but unless you sign out of all Apple services like iCloud, iTunes, iMessage, FaceTime, etc. on that Mac, it will not remove the Mac from the device list.

Apple provides a comprehensive list of the steps you should take when selling or giving away your Mac in the aptly named "What to do before selling or giving away your Mac" support document. This includes in step 6 how to leave it in the original "out-of-box" state.

Affinity Photo 

• 1 year later...

Not true. In the OS X App Store app you can sign out of your account any time you want without that deleting your Mac from the list of Apple devices associated with your Apple ID. (You can check this for yourself by signing out & then logging into your Apple account at

& checking the signed in devices list.)

However, to completely erase Mac  as explained in Check your Apple ID device list to see where you‘re signed in, this may affect which items you can see in your Apple ID list, but unless you sign out of all Apple services like iCloud, iTunes, iMessage, FaceTime, etc. on that Mac, it will not remove the Mac from the device list.

Apple provides a comprehensive list of the steps you should take when selling or giving away your Mac in the aptly named "What to do before selling or giving away your Mac" support document. This includes in step 6 how to leave it in the original "out-of-box" state.

Before selling Mac , how to deal with the data on Mac is key , completely wipe Mac is necessary , isn't it ?