You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello all,

I have a new DSLR camera, so this is my first time to shoot RAW files. This camera is the Canon 80D which was just release recently, so I'm wondering if the magenta cast all over my image and very low contrast washed out look is because Affinity Photo doesn't support my camera? I noticed that under "Camera Profiles" I was not able to pull up any menus.

I haven't been able to find out anything on the net. Try as I could, I couldn't produce anything close to the real colors that the JPEG image shows, and the overall life to the JPEG is much better no matter what I try to do with this RAW file, but it might just be my ignorance of what to do.

Garry :D

Hi Garry,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Currently the Canon 80D is not supported (here's the list of supported cameras), but i believe it will be added in a future update.

OK, I guess that solves that problem. I actually feel better now that I know that it's not just my total lack of knowledge that made me fail thus far in learning how to process RAW images. I guess I'll just wait until I see an update and hope that my camera has been included.

I was able to make do for the time being by using Adobe Digital Negative Converter - DNG which allows Affinity photo to read the RAW file into its "Develop" persona. It's neat, but I'm still looking forward to the upcoming direct support from Affinity Photo.

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

Hi Paul,

You should be able to open them in Affinity Photo if you change the RAW engine to Apple (Core Image RAW)

In  Develop Persona go to menu VIew ▸ Assistant Manager... and change the RAW engine (first dropdown) from Serif Labs to Apple. You may need to reload the image for the changes take effect.

Hi Paul,

You should be able to open them in Affinity Photo if you change the RAW engine to Apple (Core Image RAW)

In  Develop Persona go to menu VIew ▸ Assistant Manager... and change the RAW engine (first dropdown) from Serif Labs to Apple. You may need to reload the image for the changes take effect.

That works! It's wonderful, thanks. Now I don't need to bother converting everything to Adobe DNG raw.

There's a caveat to Apple's latest update to their RAW update: OS X 10.11 El Capitan is required. I'm still on Yosemite and am wondering if Serif will update its own RAW converter. Any ideas?

Follow this link to Apple's download page (you have to expand the System Requirements link to see it):

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1882?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

I've attached a screen capture.

post-11486-0-73920600-1468429469_thumb.png

Hi Paul,

Excellent - thank you MEB, worked as you described, I re-started Affinity and re-loaded the raw file. Great news.

• 10 months later...

Hi Garry,

Currently the Canon 80D is not supported (here's the list of supported cameras), but i believe it will be added in a future update.

OMG, I HOPE so! I just bought an 80D, and can't edit it with PS, or AP. VERY sad. I'm trying to get away from PS, and when my files wouldn't open with it, immediately turned to AP, and figured, "this is it, no more PS for me", but... 

Keep up the great work, Serif!!!

I was able to make do for the time being by using Adobe Digital Negative Converter - DNG which allows Affinity photo to read the RAW file into its "Develop" persona. It's neat, but I'm still looking forward to the upcoming direct support from Affinity Photo.

Which version of DNG Converter did you use, please? I'm running my Mac with Mavericks, have PS5, and tried AP, but, nothing has worked so far. SO SAD!

Hi Paul,

This worked for me, too!!! WOOHOOO, AP!!