You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Making a frame around your picture: select the picture, specify colour and width of stroke. What do you mean by conservation of quality? Are you wanting the width of the stroke to remain the same no matter how you resize the photo? If so, that should happen by default. To make the stroke or frame around your picture scale proportionately, you would have to select 'Scale with object' in the Stroke panel.

MacBook Pro 15" 32GB RAM, iPad Pro 12.9" + Magic Keyboard, Apple Pencil.  Software tools of my trade: Affinity Designer | Affinity Publisher | PDF Expert | Drafts | The Archive | Plutio  

https://eandrpublications.com.au

• Staff

Hi quantz,

Here's another way that works both in Affinity Designer and Photo: since the border you want to create is quite small adding an Outline Effect to the picture will also do it. To do so, click on the FX icon on the bottom of the Layers panel as check/enable Outline. Change the radius to 4px, the alignment to Inside and the colour to whatever you want. To keep the image quality just export (menu File ▸ Export) to a lossless format like PNG or TIFF. If you need to resize (downsample) the image make sure you change the Resample dropdown in the Export dialog to Bicubic or Lanczos.

• Staff

Hi quantz,

You have to tick the effect you want on the left (Outline) then click on it's name to select it and change its properties on the right.

The Outline effect doesn't change the image "sharpness" in any way. It just adds an outline around it. Don't forget to change the alignment to Inside otherwise you will not see the outline.

post-59-0-96464000-1460583670_thumb.png

Thanks a lot. Now I have an other "problem". I want to resize this document to a width of 700 px. I know to realize this to resize the document but I loose a lot of quality. How can I realize this without loosing sharpness?

I want to resize this document to a width of 700 px. I know to realize this to resize the document but I loose a lot of quality. How can I realize this without loosing sharpness?

Short answer: you can't.

Slightly longer answer: you can't resize pixels, only decrease or increase the number of them in the document. Either way, the quality will be degraded because the pixels of the original document won't exactly match those of the resized version.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Many thanks for the answer, but I am disagree withe you. In the very past I did it with PS. The result was a beautiful picture from about 500 px. Tomorrow I will reed your answer because now it's too late. Sleep well

You may find the Photoshop help document Advanced cropping, resizing, resampling worth reading. In particular, note this sentence in the "Resizing and resampling images" section:

Whenever data is removed from or added to the image, the image quality degrades to some extent.

The "some extent" qualifier refers to how well the particular resampling method chosen is suited to the image it is applied to, the amount of data added or removed (in other words, the increase or decrease in total pixel count), how much anti-aliasing/interpolation is required to fit the new pixel dimensions to the pixel dimensions of the original image, how much color variation there is in adjacent parts of the image, & so on.

Note that this applies to all apps that perform resampling to change image size, including PS, Affinity, or whatever. If you don't actually resample the image, you are not changing its pixel dimensions, regardless of its DPI settings, display resolution, page dimensions, etc.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Hi quantz,

You can resize the document through menu Document ▸ Resize or when exporting the file using the  File ▸ Export dialog.

Make sure you change the Resample dropdown to Bicubic or Lanczos 3 (separable) to ensure better quality when downsampling the image. Lanczos 3 (non-separable) will give you a sharper result than the separable but may be too much for some images. In any case you can manually sharpen the image in the end if necessary. Here's two video tutorials covering this topic that may help:

Sharpening

Selective Sharpening