You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Saving as an Affinity Photo file

I know I am doing something stupid here but when I attempt to save an image I have been working on as Affinity Photo file (so I can preserve all the work I have done with layers, effects etc) I am not given the option and instead the file is saved in its original format e.g. Raw, Tiff etc. Usually there is a drop-down box which allows you to select what format you want to save the file but I can not see it. 

The menu option I have tried using is 'Save As..' which normally would allow you to select the format you wish to save in. 

Please see attached image of the dialog that appears when I select 'Save As'

post-29451-0-72877400-1460453274_thumb.png

Hello TAM,
If I might observe, your screenshot looks as expected to me.
It indicates that your file will be "Saved" with the name “IMG_0010”, to the folder named “TIFF”.
The absence of a field where you can choose a file type/format means it will automatically be saved in the native Affinity format.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

From a not-so-newbie perspective: for years, working in Photoshop, I have saved most of my work as .tiff, with .jpeg or .pdf for output as necessary. I like to save in a non-proprietary format, because 

1.  I might have to turn over my work to someone who doesn't use Photoshop of Affinity Photo.

2.  Sometimes software breaks.

3.  Sometimes companies go out of business.

Is there any possibility that you might consider allowing the user to keep images in a non-proprietary format? That is, to open, save, close, and re-open layered .tiff files, etc? Or do you want to keep all editing in the .afphoto file format forever, and keep all other file formats as export options only? 

Hi cadobir,

If you open a TIIF, JPG, or PNG file and do a File ▸ Save, the file will be overwritten (keeping its original format).

The only exception is PSD which we don't overwrite by design because we can break something when overwriting it since the format is proprietary and poorly documented.

Hi, MEB,

Actually, if I open a layered .TIFF in AP, it is flattened on opening. That is NOT a desirable behavior. I see that you respect the PSD file structure, and I appreciate that. Why not .TIFF too?

I am interested in knowing about the native format of the Affinity Photo file.  Is it variant of a TIFF format? When I stitch a Panorama from RAW files in Lightroom, Adobe says that the DNG file that it creates is demosaiced raw linear RGB data.  This allows me to create a pano without worrying about developing the image and then develop the pano separately.  For example, this means I can apply lossless white balance changes to the pano.  Does Affinity offer the same advantage?