You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi everyone!

I am fairly new to editing, I have done editing in the past with JPEG but never with Raw. My question is, how to the two editing styles integrate together? For example, if I shoot an image in raw and then go into the Develop Persona and adjust the white balance and contrast etc, then develop the image and move into the Photo Persona, I feel like if I adjust the white balance and contrast again then it's too much. I'm not sure how they go together when editing the same photo both before and after development.

Please give me some pointers!

Thank you :)

• Staff

Hi jemmalee,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Although you will find some shared/common tools/commands in both Personas it doesn't mean you have to use them both when working with images. If you already adjusted the White balance in Develop Persona there's no need to do it again in Photo Persona later (unless you want to fine tune it a little). In general you can do all global edits/adjustements (exposure, white balance etc) in Develop Persona (if you are shooting in RAW), then move to Photo Persona for localised edits where there's selections/masks/channels etc involved to create composites for example.

Did you take a look at Affinity in-house video tutorials? They cover several topics, including some for starters (with more coming soon). You can find them here.

If you have trouble following them just go ahead and ask away. There's plenty of knowledgeable users and staff willing to help.

Hi Jemmalee,

They way you would approach RAW would be the same as a JPEG, they're both images, but of course RAW images contains more info which allow finer control of image colour. When I say they way you approach, I mean what is the look you're after?

Also to consider is how the two Personas work. Yes the Photo Persona is the default and has some photo editing capabilities whereas the Develop Persona is meant for the development of RAW images and what it defaults to when opening a RAW image.

It's a choice, you may find that for your needs the Photo Persona works well but if you need full control of image colour and tone then you would use the Develop Persona, you could use a combination of both as well for example you need to erase something from the image by using the imprinting brush in the Photo Persona, then you might go to Develop use the tools available to get your desired look.

In the case you mentioned you wouldn't need to adjust the WB etc in two different Personas so its either one or the other. If I wanted to turn a pic to B&W I could use the Photo Persona and apply the B&W adjustment and I could be happy with that or I could go to the Develop Persona for more control of the look I'm after they both work, it would be a choice based on the tools available.

Allan

About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/mystrawberrymonkey/

Twitter: @StrawberryMnky  @imAllanThompson

Web: mystrawberrymonkey.com  Portfolio: behance.net/allanthompson

YouTube: Affinity Designer & Photo Tutorials

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

This is not resolved in 1.5 by any means  :ph34r:

Is it possible that it is by design?

1EV in RAW persona is just not the same as 1EV in photo persona, is it because linear VS not linear working space? 

Maybe I misunderstood your point, but it sounds to me pretty obvious and somehow implicit...

From RAW files you can always get much more data than in "developed" formats (TIFF or JPEG).

So it is plausible that when pulling an exposure from a TIFF you could obtain different results. 

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

Not yet tried the 32bit development in the AP 1.5...

Speaking of 16bit images (even with other RAW processors) my perception is that direct raw manipulations tend to extract more and better.

For the exposure recovery did you try to use the Shadow/Hightlight Filter instead fo adjustments?

It offers far more refined settings.

PS.

My experience with Sony and RAW development is tragic...  :)

I'm a former analog Minolta user, so jumped on the Sony project with A700 (fw1.0 ARW included an horrible luma noise reduction... Crazy...), then A900...

ACR at those times did a "watercolour work" everywhere... The only option was CaptureOne...

Some ARW versions for example are lossy, and tend to cut shadow data.

Sampling is 14bit today but some stuff is cut off during compression, giving a very short delta for shadows.

This is true even with the A7s I currently own... I tend to expose "to the right" in order to keep details in shadows.

Sony recently added uncompressed ARW to some recent models, sign that they are aware of these issues.

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers