You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Using a layer as a mask, or pasting to a mask

I have the simple task of taking an image, and its alpha (a separate image) and combining them to use in a document. I can not for the life of me figure out how to paste into a mask layer, or how to convert a pasted layer into a mask for another layer. In photoshop this is posible by adding a raster mask to a layer, and then selecting the mask channel and pasting into it.

I have tried the "mask to below" option but it no actual masking happens. It places my alpha as a child of the layer I want masked, but its preview is empty and no masking happens. If I then select "edit mask" it shows me the alpha just like it should. I have attached a screen shot as an example, you can see that none of the cyan layer is showing. Top half is normal, bottom half is "edit mask".

I really want Photo to replace photoshop for me. Unfortunately all these channels and alpha things I need for creating textures for 3D are missing or work in weird ways. Also all tutorials online have to do with image manipulation so finding out how to do things is almost imposible. I'm hoping that here on the forms you all can help me out, thanks for your time. - Jeff

post-7016-0-54329400-1460248990_thumb.jpg