You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

I tried to import a brush set of file type .abr, let's say it's called 'brushes123.abr'. It says it is successfully imported But when I try to pick the brush set from the drop down menu in the 'brushes' window, it does not appear. I've tried it again and it says: 'successfully imported 'brushes123 2', which leads me to believe it did originally import, I just can't find it. Can you help? Thanks in advance

• 1 month later...

I'm glad I found this thread because I couldn't find them either! As an absolute newbie to AD, is there an explanation of the difference between the brushes found in the Draw Persona and the Pixel Persona? Why are some brushes considered raster if they are an .abr file and get put into a different inspector? I had purchased a set of brushes from a designer (obviously intended for PhotoShop) and this was my first time importing them into AD. I just would like a better understanding.

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...
19 minutes ago, kuhnbnubstahl said:

The brush set shows in neither Photo nor Designer.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Those brushes should show up in the Designer Persona of either Designer or Publisher, but not in Photo.

Do you have other brushes showing in the Brushes panel in the Designer Persona? Or are they all missing?

When you imported the .afbrushes file, did you get a message saying it had been imported? 

What release of the Affinity applications are you using?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

There are other (stock) brushes in Designer and Photo. E.g., pencil, acrylics etc.

Designer version: 1.10.6

I double-clicked the brushes file. Then macos opened Photo which reported that 20 vector brushes were successfully imported as "fur & hair[number]".

In Designer, I select the vector brush tool, enter the brushes toolbox and in the brushes toolbox there are only the stock brush sets, but no "fur & hair".

7 minutes ago, kuhnbnubstahl said:

I double-clicked the brushes file. Then macos opened Photo which reported that 20 vector brushes were successfully imported as "fur & hair[number]".

In Designer, I select the vector brush tool, enter the brushes toolbox and in the brushes toolbox there are only the stock brush sets, but no "fur & hair".

Thanks for the added details.

In V1, Designer and Photo do not share brushes. You need to install them in the appropriate app.

So, in Designer, in the Brushes panel, click on the panel options icon (hamburger menu), and choose Import Brushes. Then navigate to your brush file and choose it.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1