Sign in to follow this  
shushustorm

3 problems (Photo / Designer 1.4.1)

Hello everyone!

I just installed Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer on a new machine and I am facing 3 problems that didn't show up on another machine. I'm not positive, but I think those are 1.4.1 related problems, because I use Designer 1.3.2 and Photo 1.3.4 there.

Those are the problems:

1.: This one was sporadic / I wasn't able to reproduce it: The background turned to a bright color (happened in Designer) and this ported over to Photo when choosing "Edit in Photo".

2.: On 3 of the 4 borders of the app, the desktop background is visible. I am facing a similar problem with some other apps, but for other apps, only the bottom border is affected.

3.: I cannot choose to edit in Designer when working in Photo even though both applications are installed. However, edit in Photo is available in Designer.

Many thanks for any ideas,
Greetings,
Shu

post-29523-0-84799500-1460148819_thumb.jpg

Hi Shu,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

1. I haven't seen this happen before but if you figure it out in the future, please provide us with steps to reproduce it.

2. What Display settings are you using on the Mac? Are you using Default for display or one of the Scaled options? If you haven't done much customization of the app, you can try doing a Ctrl runup to reset the UI by holding down the Ctrl key when you open the app and Reset the Studio.

3. Do you have any of the beta versions installed? I believe there are a couple of issues that prevent Affinity going from Photo to Designer. 

Thanks

1. I haven't seen this happen before but if you figure it out in the future, please provide us with steps to reproduce it.

This could have been an artboard. If you go to File > New and check the box for 'Create artboard' and then hit OK can you tell me if that's what you saw?

Hi Shu,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

2. What Display settings are you using on the Mac? Are you using Default for display or one of the Scaled options? If you haven't done much customization of the app, you can try doing a Ctrl runup to reset the UI by holding down the Ctrl key when you open the app and Reset the Studio.

3. Do you have any of the beta versions installed? I believe there are a couple of issues that prevent Affinity going from Photo to Designer. 

Thanks

This could have been an artboard. If you go to File > New and check the box for 'Create artboard' and then hit OK can you tell me if that's what you saw?

Thank you very much for your answers! :D

1.: Yes, you are right. This option isn't present in the older version of Affinity Designer that I am using. So it has probably been this setting and it's not a bug after all!

2.: I am using a scaled screen resolution that gives me "more space". If you are familiar with the El Capitan settings: It's the 4th one from left in the monitor system preferences.

3.: No, on the machine where this issue showed up, I only installed 1.4.1 of Photo and Designer on a very new OSX install. So actually, there shouldn't be confusion going on about any other versions installed because there are none.

2. Ah are you using a Retina screen? I'll check this when my colleague gets in shortly as I don't have a Retina display to check. I'll let you know once I've looked into it.

3. You're right, it should be working okay between those two versions. Is it just grayed out or is it available to click but does nothing and give you an error? 

We've just tested issue 2 and we can't replicate it. We have tried all the different scaling options and whenever we double click the bar at the top, it full screens with no background showing

2. Ah are you using a Retina screen? I'll check this when my colleague gets in shortly as I don't have a Retina display to check. I'll let you know once I've looked into it.

3. You're right, it should be working okay between those two versions. Is it just grayed out or is it available to click but does nothing and give you an error? 

2. Yes, This happens on Retina Macbook Pro 2015 (OSX El Capitan 10.11.2 and 10.11.4)

3. It is grayed out. I am not able to click on it.

Also, if you haven't already, you can take a look at the screenshot I attached to my initial post. It shows both the scaling issue and the menu with the grayed out "Edit in Designer" option in German.

We've just tested issue 2 and we can't replicate it. We have tried all the different scaling options and whenever we double click the bar at the top, it full screens with no background showing

Do you use a dark background? It's a rather small line and you may not notice it if the background is black or a dark gray.

2. I've tried it with a light and a dark background. The UI is flush against the sides and also touched the toolbar at the top but there is a small gap across the bottom but it looks like that's the same across all the apps I've checked.

3. We've got a bug report for this now so hopefully it will get resolved in a future update :)

2. I've tried it with a light and a dark background. The UI is flush against the sides and also touched the toolbar at the top but there is a small gap across the bottom but it looks like that's the same across all the apps I've checked.

3. We've got a bug report for this now so hopefully it will get resolved in a future update :)

Thanks for the bug report!

About 2: This seems really weird. Maybe it's an OS problem and on some machines more borders are affected. Maybe I have to contact Apple to see if this issue can be solved. Because depending on the images I work with, it can be pretty distracting.