You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Strange Bug with Text an Styles

I have made a screen video to visualize the problem. It is not possible for me to move the text on the right side under the text on the left side without creating strange effects.

Ich habe mal ein Bildschirmvideo gemacht, um das Problem sichtbar zu machen. Es ist mir nicht möglich, den Text auf der rechten Seite unter den Text auf der linken Seite zu schieben, ohne dass merkwürdige Effekte entstehen.

https://das-goldene-tor.de/dropbox/bugbugbug.m4v

Dieses Phänomen hab ich schon mal gesehen, auch wurde hier schon davon berichtet. Ich kann mich aber nicht mehr erinnern, woran genau es liegt. Kannst du bitte mal ein Beispieldokument hochladen?

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

13 minutes ago, StefanGold said:

I started with an IDML document

Just now, StefanGold said:

Ich versuche ein Beispieldokument zu bauen

Ja, ich denke bei mir lag es damals auch am IDML als Ausgangsdokument. 
Bei einigen Projekten hab ich dann ohnehin lieber ein ganz neues Layout in Publisher aufgebaut, weil vielerorts ein komplett anderer Aufbau als im ID notwendig ist. 

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

17 minutes ago, StefanGold said:

Is there a solution?

Try this: Select all text of the entire story -> cut -> delete the affected text frame -> draw a new text frame -> paste the story again.

Or: Select all text of the entire story -> cut -> delete all pages unless the first -> type a character in the first frame + check/correct its size -> paste the story again -> let APub do the text frame creation by shift-click the text overflow triangle.

There are quite a few reports about this known bug with IDML import. For instance:

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1 only

11 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Try this: Select all text of the entire story -> cut -> delete the affected text frame -> draw a new text frame -> paste the story again.

Or: Select all text of the entire story -> cut -> delete all pages unless the first -> type a character in the first frame + check/correct its size -> paste the story again -> let APub do the text frame creation by shift-click the text overflow triangle.

There are quite a few reports about this known bug with IDML import. For instance:

i even tried it with a brand new document, copy all text from the old document and paste it into a new text frame.... then frame creation and booom -> see the result 😪

Bildschirmfoto 2023-11-30 um 14.09.00.png

16 minutes ago, StefanGold said:

-> see the result

The increased font size (rather than minimized 1 pt) might indicate a manipulation done to a text frame within APub before its content got copied.

Try it this way: Open the IDML -> Select the entire story from the first text frame -> Create a new .afpub + a new text frame -> Paste.

42 minutes ago, thomaso said:

The increased font size (rather than minimized 1 pt) might indicate a manipulation done to a text frame within APub before its content got copied.

Try it this way: Open the IDML -> Select the entire story from the first text frame -> Create a new .afpub + a new text frame -> Paste.

Hell.... i copied the complete text into TextEdit and do convert to plain text. Then copied the text into a brand new APub document.
That solves my problems, apart from the fact that i have to create and assign all text styles again... again hours of work due to APub bugs!

That's not funny

19 minutes ago, StefanGold said:

hours of work due to APub bugs!

Keep in mind that the ability to import IDML likely required some reverse engineering, even though technically, IDML is based on human readable XML. It's nice to have, but it's by no means an "official file exchange format".

19 minutes ago, StefanGold said:

That's not funny

Hm. It wasn't "funny" back in the day when I had to rebuild PageMaker 4 layouts in XPress 3. It also wasn't "funny" to rebuild some of those aforementioned XPress layouts in InDesign 2 either. And I couldn't charge my clients for this extra work, as they didn't request it. Although the latter process was at least faster, having had upgraded from a System 7 68k Macintosh to a Mac OS 9 PowerMac G4 in the meantime… :D 

Switching between competitors ain't never funny for end users, for sure…

9 minutes ago, StefanGold said:

i have to create and assign all text styles again

Before recreating every single style from scratch you possibly could try first to use the styles that get imported to APub's Styles Panel from an imported .idml?

Also I wonder if the step via TextEdit indeed requires to convert to plain text or would also work with .rtf (with the goal not to lose or styles at least visually)? Currently it appears still unclear where the culprit is located, it seems to be not within the saved text style but could be a 'corrupted' text frame or an information stored in front of any text within an affected text frame?

53 minutes ago, StefanGold said:

i copied the complete text into TextEdit and do convert to plain text.

33 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Also I wonder if the step via TextEdit indeed requires to convert to plain text

Edit → Paste Without Format should actually do as well.

37 minutes ago, thomaso said:

possibly could try first to use the styles that get imported to APub's Styles Panel from an imported .idml?

In my experience, they don't always "translate" well. It depends on complexity and style hierarchy. Eventually, fixing certain details can take longer than rethinking the styles concept first and adapt it to the Affinity workflows by rebuilding them from scratch while often avoiding conceptual mistakes from earlier InDesign layouts. There are many parameters that are easier to accomplish by using native Affinity tools that ID lacks. Aaand vice versa, of course.

1 hour ago, loukash said:

Edit → Paste Without Format should actually do as well.
(…)
In my experience, they don't always "translate" well. It depends on complexity and style hierarchy. Eventually, fixing certain details can take longer than rethinking 

I had rather in mind to paste with style -> to maintain different text styles when pasting. Advantage:

Even if the styles don't "translate" failure free, you first can fix them in APub's styles panel and then it can be a lot less effort to paste the text with different but "wrong" formatting because you may use Find & Replace then to assign your fixed, saved style to all according text instances that got pasted with a style issue. The alternative to scroll through the document and select paragraph by paragraph in frame by frame can be more time consuming, depending on the document.