You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Work with Affinity Pro - Feedbacks und issues

Hello,

we would like to share my recents experiences with Affinity Photo. We want to replace PS with Affinity. Time is running out: PS CS6 may not work on upcoming MacOS... Unfortunately, we have some "no go" using Affinity. Please note, that for some simple editing, wer are happy with affinity and we are using it. However for some more difficult project, we still have to use PS.

- Level tools can not be really useful for us. Indeed, we do not see the black point like in PS. So We start PS once to achieve the black/white level, save everything als tiff, and then start to work with Affinity.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/10861-leves-tools-lets-us-see-what-it-does/

Thanks for the reply :-)

- No layer-tiff save option. (I've heard it's coming, Nice!).

- Curve tool: Is there any possibility to actually remove the point from the curve ?

- Switching between different tool, using the shortcuts (b, s, v, etc...) is pretty challenging, well difficult. Indeed, each time I press B, Affinity switch to different tool. Basically, it means, each time I press B, and I expect my Brush, well, I do not have it. I have to press again until it's the appropriate one.

in PS, one have to use Shift + Key.  This is, to my mind, a lot of smarter

- The save progress bar does not mean anything reliable. I mean, it can go quickly to 100% and stay there for 3 minutes.

- In many projects, we have groups and many layers. For example, 10 adjustment layers applied on one raster layer in one group, some in another, etc... Yet, when we are happy with our adjustment, we usually merge everything into on raster layer. We could not achieve this in the program. In PS, it is possible to select many adjustment layer + the raster and then merge everything. Is it possible in Affinity ?

Thanks for listening.

--
Nicolas DET
Fotografie
Les gens sont la clef

Event, Porträt, People, Hochzeit, ... Live
http://www.nicolas-det.eu

https://www.instagram.com/nicolas_det_fotografie/

Curve tool-to remove a point on the curve, select the point to be removed and press DELETE in the main keyboard buttons-not the delete key under fn button.

To make the B be only for the brush tool you have to go into the keyboard shortcuts of the preferences panel. Find the tools category and then look for any tool that has a B that isn't the brush tool- this means you are eliminating all the tools that the B button was giving you before.

I agree that Shift + B is smarter to scroll between other tools.

Right-click a group or layer with all the adjustment layers nested inside and choose Rasterize.

Regarding Shift + key for tool selection, I realize no tool selection method is going to be optimum for everyone & having different methods for different apps can involve a potentially unwelcome learning curve, but I really like the one keypress method used in Affinity.

It is very fast & doesn't involve any awkward hand positions to hit two keys, which reduces my recurring problems with RSI. It also frees up Shift + key for other keyboard shortcuts -- for example, I use Shift + B for the break curve action.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hello,

What about layers flatten like in PS ?

- In many projects, we have groups and many layers. For example, 10 adjustment layers applied on one raster layer in one group, some in another, etc... Yet, when we are happy with our adjustment, we usually merge everything into on raster layer. We could not achieve this in the program. In PS, it is possible to select many adjustment layer + the raster and then merge everything. Is it possible in Affinity ?

--
Nicolas DET
Fotografie
Les gens sont la clef

Event, Porträt, People, Hochzeit, ... Live
http://www.nicolas-det.eu

https://www.instagram.com/nicolas_det_fotografie/

• Staff

Hi nicoppc,

If you want to flatten all layers in the document you can do so going to menu Document ▸ Flatten.

If you want to flatten just a few of them, select them in the layers panel and go to menu Layer ▸ Merge Selected.

Layer ▸ Merge Visible will merge all visible layers into a new layer placed immediately on top of the highest visible layer in the Layers stack.

There's a few more options available. Check Help ▸ Affinity Photo Help ▸ Layer Operations ▸ Merging and flattening for more info.