You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Inkscape SVG text not importing properly to AF Designer V2

I have a design that I began working on in Inkscape. When I went to continue working on it in AF Designer V2, the text does not import correctly. The smaller text above and below the "HURTS, HANG-UPS, AND HABITS" text is not centered like it's supposed to be.

I am new to both Inkscape and AF Designer so any exporting/importing advice is greatly appreciated.

Attached are all three SVG files as well as screenshots of what I see in Inkscape and AF Designer.

File as shown (correctly) in Inkscape:

ScreenShot2023-11-28at3_38_53PM.thumb.png.57de00734853946ce886b9d4a78f804c.png

Inkscape SVG file as shown in AF Designer:ScreenShot2023-11-28at3_40_48PM.thumb.png.a2b0fb0dc495a331e78b7375f6da7b75.png

Plain SVG file as shown in AF Designer:

ScreenShot2023-11-28at3_40_50PM.thumb.png.f3b8367b2673faa638bd54f0b0d6ff32.png

CR Shirts Test ORIGINAL INKSCAPE FILE.svg

CR Shirts Test Inkscape SVG.svg

CR Shirts Test Plain SVG.svg

• Staff

Welcome to the forums @Anonymous Puddle,

The issue doesn't appear to be specific to Affinity, if you open any of your attached .SVG files in a web browser view or another SVG compatible app such as Illustrator the text also isn't centred, see the screenshot below for reference. 

image.png

The problem could be the fact that both the top and bottom text exists as a part of the same text object in Inkscape with alignment rules and a high leading value set, and when this is exported to SVG and parsed in Affinity/Other apps the singular text frame is split into two separate Art text layers and the original text alignment is lost as a result.

I'm not overly experienced in Inkscape but you could try separating this single text object into two separate text frames like i've done in the attached document and then exporting to SVG again, as this appears to prevent the alignment issue from occurring by retaining the separate text object's relative position on the canvas.

CR Shirts Test ORIGINAL INKSCAPE FILE updated in Inkscape.svg

The file doesn't open properly in Chrome either. I didn't understand
shape-inside: url(#rect4);
so I deleted it. That showed the text positions same as Chrome so delete the tspan styles as below. Do File/Clean Up Document, Save from Inkscape and it will now load properly into Chrome and Affinity

TeeShirts1.png

TeeShirts2.png

CRShirtsTest-APout.svg

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

On 11/29/2023 at 3:16 AM, NathanC said:

you could try separating this single text object into two separate text frames like i've done in the attached document and then exporting to SVG again, as this appears to prevent the alignment issue from occurring by retaining the separate text object's relative position on the canvas.

This appears to work for me as well. Thank you!

On 11/29/2023 at 3:29 AM, David in Яuislip said:

Do File/Clean Up Document, Save from Inkscape and it will now load properly into Chrome and Affinity

I clicked "Clean Up Document" then exported as a plain SVG, and opened it in AF Designer and the problem persisted. I did not, however, delete the tspan styles as I believe you wanted me to do. That may be the problem.