You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Option click to duplicate objects in the Layers panel

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve option clicked an object in the Layers panel, thinking I’ve duplicated it, continue working, then realize the item I thought I’d duplicated is the one I’ve modified. 

Extra request: When I option click and drag an object on the artboard to duplicate and move it in one action, it’s super weird that undo does not remove the duplicate, it just puts it back in the exact same spot as the original item. This has resulted in me having objects duplicated within my document without realizing it until much later, and wondering where they came from.

Thanks!

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve option clicked an object in the Layers panel, thinking I’ve duplicated it, continue working, then realize the item I thought I’d duplicated is the one I’ve modified. 

Extra request: When I option click and drag an object on the artboard to duplicate and move it in one action, it’s super weird that undo does not remove the duplicate, it just puts it back in the exact same spot as the original item. This has resulted in me having objects duplicated within my document without realizing it until much later, and wondering where they came from.

Thanks!

Bond,

Designer will remove the duplicated object but you have to hit command + z (undo) one more time. The first time puts the object back to its original location (from where you dragged it) and the second undo removes the duplicated object.  I'm not sure what you mean by "option clicking" in the Layers panel. If you option click on an object in the Layers panel you should see a contextual menu that includes the option to "Duplicate". Are you talking about holding the option and dragging to make a copy? For some reason that doesn't work in the Layers Panel but it does work on the canvas. You can use option + drag or command + drag to copy items on the canvas. 

Hokusai

• Staff

Hi Bond,

To duplicate an object in Layers panel, select it and press ⌘ (cmd) + J or right-click on it and select Duplicate as Hokusai pointed out.

The artboards are still being worked. Some operations related with the coordinate system/guides etc will be improved in the next Betas (1.5).

The undo in two stages for duplicated objects is already logged.

Hi Bond,

To duplicate an object in Layers panel, select it and press ⌘ (cmd) + J or right-click on it and select Duplicate as Hokusai pointed out.

The artboards are still being worked. Some operations related with the coordinate system/guides etc will be improved in the next Betas (1.5).

The undo in two stages for duplicated objects is already logged.

Thank you. Would duplicating objects in the Layers panel by option clicking be possible?