You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why are comments being deleted?

Dear moderators, please follow the ethics of communication.
The phrases "by default", "and it's not new to this beta" mean nothing anymore.
Because "by default" all the mistakes in software development were made.
The phrase "and it's not new to this beta" is also worthless because the bugs fixed, for example, in version 2.3.0.2157 - 739, 28, 465, 413, 144, 473 are also not new to this beta.
Respect users and don't write something just to write it.

I think that "not new to the beta" is related to the purpose of the "other new bugs in the beta" forum. A problem that is not new to the current beta should be discussed in the regular part of the forum, not in the beta part. 

It doesn't mean a problem is not worth mentioning, just that it should be reported someplace else. 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.3, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.3

18 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

It doesn't mean a problem is not worth mentioning, just that it should be reported someplace else. 

You just didn't follow what I wrote because the comment was deleted.
The problem, reported in time during the development of the 2.2 beta, was included in the release, and then in 2.2.1. I report that the problem is still there in beta 2.3 and get a response that it is not new to this beta.
The question is why the problem that was new to version 2.2 was not fixed, but a number of bugs that were not new to that beta were fixed? And now this bug is no longer new to this version. And everything is repeated from the beginning.
They set the rules and follow the letter for the sake of the letter.

17 minutes ago, anto said:

The question is why the problem that was new to version 2.2 was not fixed, but a number of bugs that were not new to that beta were fixed?

The answer is that apparently Serif doesn't have enough human resources to fix all bugs in three, two, one, finito, just because user @anto says so.
If you know good software engineers looking for a job in Nottingham, UK, I'm pretty sure Serif will be more than happy to consider their offerings.

1 hour ago, anto said:

Why are comments being deleted?

Their house. Their rules. We are only guests here, and generally we are very welcome guests.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

6 minutes ago, anto said:

The problem, reported in time during the development of the 2.2 beta, was included in the release, and then in 2.2.1. I report that the problem is still there in beta 2.3 and get a response that it is not new to this beta.
The question is why the problem that was new to version 2.2 was not fixed, but a number of bugs that were not new to that beta were fixed? And now this bug is no longer new to this version. And everything is repeated from the beginning.
They set the rules and follow the letter for the sake of the letter.

As was stated in that thread, there is no guarantee that something that is broken by a  beta will be fixed during that beta.

But something what was broken by 2.2, is still a Release bug once 2.2 has finished beta and been released. And at that point, in my opinion, further discussion would be better in the release forums, not in the beta forum for 2.3 (because it is not new to 2.3, which is the purpose of the beta forum).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.3, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.3

• Staff

We simply hid one off topic post. The beta forum is for reporting issues that affect the beta that do not affect release, so by "not new to this beta" we mean this is not a regression in the beta. Any issue affecting release already reported in release does not need to be re-reported in the beta forums.

We are in a potential release week and there are a lot of moving parts here. Responding to off topic forum posts is not something I want my staff doing so I hid the post.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

7 minutes ago, anto said:

It's disrespectful to users who spend their time looking for bugs

I, personally, honestly appreciate your efforts and bug reports you're posting.
But frankly, I am finding your "angry" attitude rather annoying, and in the end contraproductive. Sorry to say this. :( 

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

7 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

We are in a potential release week and there are a lot of moving parts here. Responding to off topic forum posts is not something I want my staff doing so I hid the post.

Then please pay attention to fixing the bugs that affect the beta version first. Then the uncorrected bug goes to the end and everything starts over. Make at least one beta usable and at least one tool that is currently available to work 100%.

3 minutes ago, loukash said:

But frankly, I am finding your "angry" attitude rather annoying, and in the end contraproductive. Sorry to say this. :( 

That's why I report bugs, so that they can be fixed. It's even more annoying when many of my topics are ignored. There is one more thread that has been ignored, but there will be time for it.

1 minute ago, anto said:

That's why I report bugs, so that they can be fixed.

And that's all right.
Heck, years ago I posted this: 

^ It's still my #1 "feature request"! :80_smile_cat:

10 minutes ago, loukash said:

^ It's still my #1 "feature request"! :80_smile_cat:

After all these years, you are already looking at problems philosophically. I still react harshly, but I think that in a little while and they will no longer affect me, and I will look at everything through my fingers.

Just now, anto said:

After all these years, you are already looking at problems philosophically.

Yeah, I'm surely evolving, getting older, "wiser"… :D 
Some of my early posts here were pretty angry as well.

image.png.9c29f5516b7f6b3da3f08a513a50accd.png

Quality Assurance Manager. I strive for excellence in complex professional illustrations through efficient workflows in modern applications, supporting me in achieving my and my colleagues' goals through the most achievable usability and contemporary, easy-to-use user interfaces.

macOS M1 + M2, always running latest macOS and iPadOS

3 hours ago, Bit Arts said:

image.png.9c29f5516b7f6b3da3f08a513a50accd.png

Very off topic, but this graphic should be hung in a mental health asylum. It's total madness.

Re: OP, yes sometimes their posts are harsh at times, but they're desperately needed in this space. I don't care for the self-aggrandizing commentary of other critics that have come to the board (because it's off topic), but anto has been consistently on topic and providing adequate and needed critiques. They are a needed member. I don't think even Serif wants the forum to be like a hugbox. But it's fair that the original post itself was hidden to save headaches. I feel bad for the staffmember who came under the crosshair, but at the same time, I see anto's point as to when communications become harder to take seriously. Like how high is polish on their priority list? Several have said they can't see it being high on the list at all on their end, but we can only talk about what is visible to us... I guess anto is saying to give the user perspective a bit more consideration when posting from the developer end...

I'm also noticing the pattern with the lack of bugfixes and things being left in. I personally find it completely unacceptable and it doesn't matter what the reasoning is after a point. It's not good for the customer and numerous users have related how these bugs/issues have impacted their workflow in substantial ways, so I think that a long cycle that focuses on JUST clearing the list and cleaning up the software is desperately needed. Will we get something like this? I have asked. I was told announcements can only be made from a select few, which is fair, but why haven't they commented further? It impacts my desire to spend so much time sharing bug reports/etc because it seems counterproductive to keep reporting the same bugs, or running into new bugs spawned by old bugs. But then I report new ones and sometimes they're fixed, sometimes they're not. I still can't believe we can't Expand Stroke a vector drawing that uses pressure curves without there being random flowers and other artifacts. It's basically raster-only. Expand Stroke almost always fails to convert everything seamlessly. Also, having to minimize my software when the UI freezes because that's been a bug for tablet users that's existed for some time now...

I really really want to see Serif step up their game. I will do so as well. I've started keeping a checklist of things I'd like to see, but again, if I post... where does it go really? I don't get a positive sensation from sharing any general feedback beyond just what's currently discussed in beta if it's just going into the ether... so I feel like sometimes it's like I'm silently being told it's not worth my time? If that makes sense?

Microsoft Windows 10 Home (Build 19045)
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8Ghz (-30 all core +200mhz PBO); Mobo: Asus X470 Prime Pro
32GB DDR4 (3600Mhz); EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 3080 X3C Ultra 12GB
Monitor 1 4K @ 125% due to a bug
Monitor 2 4K @ 150%
Monitor 3 (as needed) 1080p @ 100%

WACOM Intuos4 Large; X-rite i1Display Pro; NIKON D5600 DSLR

27 minutes ago, debraspicher said:

I don't get a positive sensation from sharing any general feedback beyond just what's currently discussed in beta if it's just going into the ether... so I feel like sometimes it's like I'm silently being told it's not worth my time? If that makes sense?

You're not alone, and this is a pattern that's being going on for years. Seeing folks who always came to Serif's defence now starting to openly criticize them should really be a wake up call for the company. Eventually, and despite all the “happy talk”, Serif will have to look reality in the face and lick it.

48 minutes ago, debraspicher said:

Very off topic, but this graphic should be hung in a mental health asylum. It's total madness.

OK, I better spend some time elaborating on the image. 🙂 It was generated for the occasion by AI. I should have added some context but felt I had already wasted too much of my life screening the thread and I had some private life to live and also work to do, so I chose the JPG. The "Bored, I am leaving" was not for anto but the automatically triggered responses from a group of people not related to Serif. 

I very much value feedback from @anto and other frustrated customers.

I'm completely indifferent and actually downright repulsed by generic and guaranteed responses and comments from - well, who the hell are they? It's rhetorical polyfilla. The whole thing is a complete waste of time and life. And unfortunately also for customers like anto who come here in frustration.

I can easily empathise with your argument, mood and list of issues, I've been following Serif's choices and opt-outs for over a decade and I'm resigned to all of this. I have really had a breakthrough in my creativity in spite of everything in the last year, but have given up on anything other than submitting improvement requests on an ongoing basis - inspired by others. Serif has read it all hundreds of times, and I don't think one or fifty more posts will change anything in the company after decades in the industry. They develop as usual, making the same mistakes I've seen since 2007. It's sad enough - but what's worse is that they don't fully realise the potential inherent in the concept behind the three programs. 

If you're creative and passionate, possibilities are everywhere, and there's nothing more foolish than wasting time on futile deeds in that scenario. My time is best invested in creating and spending my time in the real world. I've found a niche for Affinity, but I haven't found a place in my life for forum-filla.

I wish you a day of creativity. 🧑‍🎨 🎨

image.png.315bfd5533db5d3197733dc7b860a0b8.png

Quality Assurance Manager. I strive for excellence in complex professional illustrations through efficient workflows in modern applications, supporting me in achieving my and my colleagues' goals through the most achievable usability and contemporary, easy-to-use user interfaces.

macOS M1 + M2, always running latest macOS and iPadOS

11 minutes ago, Bryan Rieger said:

You're not alone, and this is a pattern that's being going on for years.

Seeing the same thing and like you I quit the forum a few times and came back to see just half baked features added while bugs are accumulating.
The defensive nature of the recent replies from Serif are just laughable at times.
I hear nothing but hollow phrases and see bug fixes on minor issues that should have been tackled before release and the big, years running reports and requests are gathering dust somewhere on a shelf.

Win11Pro/64gbRam/RTX3060Ti  +  Win10Home/32gbRam/GTX1050Ti + Win11Home/16gbRam/RTX3050

On 11/27/2023 at 10:12 PM, Return said:

half baked features added while bugs are accumulating

I totally agree.
It is clear that something is wrong with project management and quality when developing new functions. More people notice this and are disappointed.

These are just some of the things that worried me and greatly disappointed me:

• Poorly developed functions, many errors already at the initial stage, for which you have to wait months, sometimes even years, to fix them.
  • Mishaps involving releasing an untested beta as an official update. At this stage this is not allowed to happen.
  • Incomprehensible decisions without giving reasons regarding changing the interface or default settings

There is no excuse Serif. You had enough time to increase resources. It's been 9 years since you released Photo and Designer and 4 years since Publisher.
After almost 10 years of full-time work on Affinity Suite, users have the right to expect more. With each subsequent update, programs should become more stable, functions should work better, and the list of errors should be shorter. Unfortunately, this is not currently the case.