You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

You need to tell AP which folders to search for plug-ins, and the plug-in support.  This is done in the Preferences > Photoshop Plug-ins tab.  Not all plug-ins will function even if they are detected.

Search the forum for several threads on this topic.  

kirk

• Staff

Hi tonyt,

Go to menu Affinity Photo ▸ Preferences..., Photoshop Plugins section.

You have to set the Plugin Search Folders to: /Applications/Topaz Labs/Plug-ins

Click the Authorise Global button, then Authorise again on the dialog that will open. Check Allow "Unknown" plugins to be used.

Close the Preferences dialog and restart Affinity Photo.

Many thanks, will give it a go and let you know. Will all my plugins work ok? Is there a list somewhere of what doew and doesnt, a forum sticky maybe?

Cheers

PS is there a searchable manual for download yet?

• Staff

Hi tonyt,

Photoshop plug-in support is still being worked/developed. It's not something that's totally dependent on us and may require plug-in developers support/collaboration to ensure full compatibility.

Affinity Photo already provides this info in the list on the left in the Photoshop plug-ins Preferences panel. Known plug-ins (identified in green) should work without issues. All the others are marked as unknown. This doesn't mean they don't run. Some will run, other's don't. In any case they are not "officially" supported yet.

Since there's already a few that work more or less reliably - despite being marked as unknown in the app - i've compiled a list of them here just for orientation/guidance. While there may be issues that i've not listed/discovered yet i believe it's reasonably accurate to help decide if it's worth installing them or not. Click on the plug-in name for details.

Regarding the manual, some users already shared the Help file converted to an iBook format here in the forums. We should have a handbook available later.

MEB, Great list, well done & quite useful! :)

I don't know if it is worth adding Flaming Pear Software's Freebies to it. Ghost & Anti-Ghost, all three Solidify (A, B, & C), & Vitriol will not work at all in AP; the others will work, but only on marquee selections. Most are simple effects with no settings or variable attributes that operate on the selection immediately. Kyoto Color & Pixel Trash open settings windows & may or may not work (see below).

For my tests, I downloaded the Mac version back in January & dragged the "Freebies" folder into the default AP plugins folder. At that time the included Kyoto Color plugin was version 1.6.8 & while it did not display previews correctly, other than that it worked OK. The Pixel Trash plugin was also at version 1.6.8 & worked OK. However, I wanted to make sure I was supplying the most current info here so I downloaded a fresh copy today & also dragged it into the AP folder. The Kyoto Color & Pixel Trash versions in this download are versions 1.6.9 & 1.7.0 respectively, & both hang AP when selected.

I don't know if this is because there is some cached data or something left over from the prior versions or what, but so far I have not figured out how to fix that or whatever else is causing this on my system. The older versions still run OK as long as I disable the newer ones, so I would be interested in hearing from other users who try using the current versions of these two plugins without previously having installed the older ones if they are seeing the same thing.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 1 month later...