You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How can I offset the path of an object?

• Staff
3 hours ago, tomgreen said:

I'm guessing they will save all these requested features for version 2.0 meaning we will have to pay again making my initial investment a complete waste of money.

PS. this is also a +1 for offset path, if that makes any difference.

Hi tomgreen,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

That's not fair. We have disclosed all planned features for the 1.x cycle as soon as we released the application three years ago. Some of these features were already implemented in the program, others remain to be added for free (check the roadmap here) before version 2.0 comes out and quite a few others come from users requests despite not being initially planned. We have been as much transparent regarding this as possible. We are aware that there's still a lot to be done/add but we also have limited resources/relatively small dev teams so these things take some time.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't think Affinity is holding out those bigger features like offset path for version 2.0 - even if they did, the app is 50 dollars - a minor amount in comparison to what Adobe expects us to pay each year. 
Affinity provides such hope for those of us sick of Adobe's predatory pricing policies. I think we're all anxious for Affinity to be able to fully handle our wishlist of tasks. On that note, another +1 for offset path functionality - I use that daily in my workflow with Illy. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

+1

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

First post here.

I generally like Affinity Designer but I sooo miss Illustrator's Offset tool.

I use vector apps to lay out cutlines ( full size working drawings ) for stained glass windows. I'm currently doing layout for an 8 x 3.5 metre west window with 19 individual lights all of which require borders offset from their outer edges. I'm struggling with the Layer  Expand Layer  Geometry ▸ Divide workaround. It's proving very flakey on a project of this size.

Offset please.

Yes it can't come too soon in my eyes

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• 3 weeks later...

I came back after a long layoff (still using AI :/) to AD to see if anything had moved on the offset/contour tool front (something that completely stops me from using AD) - here's the quote from 2014 ...

We already have a contour tool in the back-end, and it's interactive - but it's just not finished properly at the moment... expect one to arrive one day soon!

Five years is a loooong time to be waiting for a basic major feature to be incorporated. I really thought that AD was going to be pro-active on this front, but it seems that 'bells and whistles' rather than core features seem to be the order of the day. Maybe in another five years when I've fully retired ...

/rant

On 4/7/2019 at 2:31 PM, Igull said:

Five years is a loooong time to be waiting for a basic major feature to be incorporated. I really thought that AD was going to be pro-active on this front, but it seems that 'bells and whistles' rather than core features seem to be the order of the day.

Suggested working definitions for this & similar topics:

Core Features: ones I want to use
Bells And Whistles Features: ones I don't

:72_imp:

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2017 at 11:26 AM, MEB said:

as quickly as possible it may still take a while until we can cover most of the functionality you find in other software. Please bear with us while we work on it.

That was in 2017, it's now 2019 + - I've pretty much dropped the notion that AD will ever produce a working offset tool (and I _don't_ mean the mess that is expand-a-stroke).

For that reason, I've just had to move on and assume that the money I spent buying AD for both platforms has been wasted - REALLY sad about that, not the money loss, but the fact that nothing has moved on this front :-(((

• 2 months later...
On 11/24/2017 at 11:12 AM, dostucki said:

Cartographer here. Can't wait to switch from Illustrator to the truly amazing Affinity Designer. But I do really need an Offset Path tool for my work, so I'm forced to stuck with Illustrator for now. Therefore:

+1 for the offset path tool!

Here, too. I mainly draw network maps with Illustrator, also here the function "Offset Path" is essential.

+1

• 1 month later...
On 10/12/2014 at 7:22 PM, MattP said:

We already have a contour tool in the back-end, and it's interactive - but it's just not finished properly at the moment... expect one to arrive one day soon!

LOL, I come back to the Designer forum every few months to see where this wonderful tool is that is to arrive 'one day soon' and here we are in late 2019 - 5 years later - and the 'contour tool' (AKA Offset Tool) is nowhere to be seen. Buying Designer for both platforms has literally been a waste of money for me for this very reason - I should have put the funds to good use and put them to a subscription to Illustrator for yet another year :/

What's even more annoying is that there is no mention of it in any future release either (AFAICS ?) - real shame, I had really wanted to ditch the adobe connection forever, but never to be it seems :/

• 5 months later...