You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How can I offset the path of an object?

We already have a contour tool in the back-end, and it's interactive - but it's just not finished properly at the moment... expect one to arrive one day soon!

You post was on "Posted 12 October 2014 - 07:22 PM" we have now 26 March 2017.

Any news on a standard tool to have?

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design  -  Chair Interior Design - Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen - product:interface:design

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

+1

Yes offset path is a must.

I need it to adjust fatter font characters to slimmer font characters for fashion print design.

It even works in the Veteran (2006) Macromedia Freehand... I would love to switch to Affinity, but without that function i cannot work.

+1

I've been using Affinity Designer for creating laser cutting designs. I absolutely love the program, but not having this feature requires me to process my Affinity outputs in Inkscape just to thicken paths before cutting  :(

could get by with the "Expand Stroke" feature, but that one creates a mess of extra nodes (another known issue.)  :wacko:

Yet another laser user and a +1 to this, an offset path tool/process is an absolute must for me too - EVERY job requires to be offset :-)

The new light interface on AD Beta has absolutely transformed the app for me - I'd easily pay double for this (if I could get offset and snapping with some decent inferencing that is LOL :-)

• 4 weeks later...

Well, everything has already been said/argued... So just another simple: +1

System: CPU: Intel® Core2 Duo T7700 @ 2.40GHz || RAM: 4 GB (DDR2-SDRAM) || GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT (512 MB) || HDD: TOSHIBA (500 GB, 8 MB) || OS: Windows 10 Pro (x64) || OTHER: MSI Laptop - 17" (1920 x 1200 px)

I am really sorry, but more and more i have to use AD i get crazy and can't understand the hype about it.

Yes, it is "cheap" and it has a lot of good functions. But some really important features are still missing.

For now, i have to subscribe again for Illustrator and gaming a bit with Affinity. Otherwise, my job can not be finished this month :-(

So just another simple: +1 (10000000)

Die Now Live Later - KMFDM

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm like one of those guys above who do path works for laser or milling CNC.

I bought AD 1.5, and I almost regret this, it's my fault for not having tested the trial enough.

There is no offset feature, expanding a stroke does not work, it's a mess

These are commands-features that should be CORE in an illustration design software, damn, Inkscape has more tools to manipulate paths.

There is no much to add to this topic, it's a shame these tools are missing, still, in Affinity Designer.

I already made a thread about what I was missing when I bought AD, yet nothing changed since then.

• Staff

Hi dok,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

I'm sorry to know you are not happy with Affinity Designer. It's true that we don't cover all functionality of other software - even some couple basic features yet - but the program is also relatively new compared to most of known programs already in the marked, Inkscape included. We are starting it from scratch with a new codebase that takes advantage of newest technologies/API's (etc) and although we are doing our best to close these gaps as quickly as possible it may still take a while until we can cover most of the functionality you find in other software. Please bear with us while we work on it.

• 2 weeks later...

It's so disappointing that very few months or so I fire up Affinity software in an attempt to start a new project from scratch only having to abandon it because basic required tools have still not been implemented. I started trying to use this software in beta stage and in the early days it was so promising but it has never yet reached a stage where I have been able to use it professionally. I'm guessing they will save all these requested features for version 2.0 meaning we will have to pay again making my initial investment a complete waste of money.

PS. this is also a +1 for offset path, if that makes any difference.