You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How can I offset the path of an object?

• Staff

sethif,

There's no offset function in Affinty Designer yet. The best way to have a consistent offset now it to add a stroke to a copy of the shape (use the size of the stroke to define the offset distance) and then convert it to a shape going to Layer -> Expand Stroke.

I'm hoping the eventual offset path type of feature will be more interactive than illustrator's, maybe with a slider or something to preview it happening in realtime on the object before committing would be better. Sometimes typing in numbers for these kinds of edits is counter intuitive. The ability to have both I guess would be the ultimate...

Thanks MattP!

I am enjoying the application quite a bit. I've been using Illustrator since the mid 1990's and it's been nice testing some alternatives (Affinity Designer, Sketch 3). I'd love to see more tutorials and a detailed user guide or some tips and tricks to help speed up my adoption rate. 

Thanks again!

• 9 months later...

Nice workaround MEB!

I mainly do print work creating stickers and decals.

I'm loving the tools so far for design but I can't wait for that offset path function! Hotkeys for it would really help workflow and definitely 1-up AI.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I am new to this software, and was very surprised not to see an offset option.  This is key for anyone (like me) that is working on footwear and/or control drawings.  As many of you know Vector tools are heavily used in the apparel and footwear industries, offset is important for stitch-lines!  Please add this, as it shouldn't be a tremendously complex item.

Having an offset path will be nice.  I've been using stroke, expand stroke and then doing a geometry divide to get my results.  It works but it's not as easy as having native offset path.   Printing registration marks would be nice as well!  Or having the ability to create registration marks from a rectangle shape.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

+1 on offset path function from me, too. I use it for making background patterns and really need it to be quick and easy to do over and over (like ripples around a subject shape).

MacBook Pro 15" 32GB RAM, iPad Pro 12.9" + Magic Keyboard, Apple Pencil.  Software tools of my trade: Affinity Designer | Affinity Publisher | PDF Expert | Drafts | The Archive | Plutio  

https://eandrpublications.com.au

• 1 month later...

+1 on the offset. I can tell you that there's a whole industry where this can become a very popular tool. I am working on regenerative landscape designs, and was struggling to use Illustrator's very very basic offset tool. If you release that feature it can become a tool many people could use to create these designs. Looking forward to it! And thanks for the great work!

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

Hi PixelPest,

The superfluous nodes when expanding a stroke is another issue which will be improved in a future version.

I believe there will be also a vector outline tool at some point. You can use a layer effect for this but keep in mind that it will be rasterised on export.

• Staff

Sorry Jimmy, i don't know if it will be available in 1.5. I believe it will take more time. I also use it frequently as well as boolean operations and offsets/outlines.

All this is tricky to code/fine tune. If it's not out yet is simply because the dev team isn't happy with it, but they are well aware of those issues.

I'm sure we will get there with some time.

• 4 months later...

Hello you lovely people, I'm the new one. :)

First of all: You can't imagine how happy I am that AD is now available (Beta) on PC. You guys rock the socks and AD will be (and already is) a wonderful tool to work with. So smooth, so useful.

I just had to get a +1 on the 'offset-path'-feature in here, as this is a function I use a lot on a daily basis.

PS: Sorry for gravedigging this thread out of its rest.

• 1 month later...

+1

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)