You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Aperture Replacement — Affinity

Affinity Team — Please build an Apple Aperture replacement. I know dozens of co-photographers both amateur and pro's would will buy this product in a second. Lightroom is awful. Capture One is good for tethered work, but it's expensive and not nearly as user friendly as Aperture. Photos is not the answer.

This is a huge gap in the applications market. I use, and my friends still use, Aperture on a daily basis however we fear that with the next Mac OS version after 10.11 support for Aperture will finally go away. If any company is capable of building this next great photo management and adjustment application it's your team.

Please consider it.

Hi versomat,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Thanks for your words. This is already being considered. Please check our FAQ for more information.

MEB that is great, I read through the FAQ after posting this topic. One of Aperture's greatest benefits is SPEED. Hope your team takes this one, it will be very successful. 

Add a +1 for me on this - user looking for new solutions to CS-era Photoshop, InDesign, and Aperture. Serif's products look VERY nice.

Aperture's strengths of quickly triaging large numbers of files, batch adjusting, batch keywording and organising, don't really seem to have been bettered.

What really does it for me is all of the adjustments / retouching being applied as metadata & versioning - every solution I've looked at seems to want me to flatten my adjustments out into extra TIFF files (which are about 120mb each, as opposed to 30-50mb RAWs). Apple has even dropped the ball on Photos.app with 3rd party plugins still being destructive edits on flattened files.

The one thing about Aperture I don't like is it being over-protective of the original files - even for things like rotating - sometimes the camera gets the orientation of an image wrong when shooting up or down, and Aperture can't rotate the original. It needs an "unlock to edit original" function.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

Yes, count me in, too, as an interested Affinity customer that is using Aperture for its asset management capabilities. I also imagine that Aperture will cease to function and I'd rather not buy and learn yet another vendor's product. I vote for Affinity!

Just another voice for this. There is a big gap and having a suitable alternative to Lightroom will make an awful lot of people very happy indeed. I still use Aperture as my DAM and will continue until someone releases something of a similar ilk. I won't touch Adobe products and Capture One is in many ways overkill and not as intuitive.

• 2 months later...

Add me and a few of my other photography associates to this wish list.  This would take out any hesitation from some of my friends jumping from the Adobe ship.  I know you've got to prioritize your production schedule BUT please don't let this one fall to the backburner.  DAM is critical in my workflow such as it is for so many others.  Love the products.  Thanks so much for putting a great product together sans the subscription model.  You've got the best thing going for you right now... word of mouth marketing... I know I'm doing my share of it.  :)