You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi, I am curious as to which tool do you find most useful for colorizing an original black and white picture.

I have used the paint brush (in colour mode) as well as the color replacement brush. By the way, is there any benefit of using one versus the other?

And I have also tried using the Recolor adjustment layer then inverting the layer and painting back in the areas I want to colorize. That is my favorite method so far. Do you know of other effective ways of doing the same thing? Any recommendations or suggestions? Thanks!

• 1 year later...
38 minutes ago, MBd said:

this just does not make sense

you can tell in this video that he/she has no clue how to properly operate frequency separation 

What are "clumpses", anyway?? :P

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

What are "clumpses", anyway?? :P

I think it is supposed to mean "clumps" or possibly "clumpiness." The voice in the narration is obviously computer generated, which makes it a bit creepy, as if the instructor (for want of a better term) is a machine, possibly a heavy-handed robot, judging by how hard it sounds like the keyboard is being stuck.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hello all,
Ok so this isn’t a link to another “How To…” tutorial about colourising old photos but I did find this short video very interesting on the subject as a whole: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vubuBrcAwtY

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

well I found it interesting because it is an alternative to a layered work. He works on a low frequency layer and it seems to be more realistic compared to a traditional method, fairly time saving. Picking up the colors from a color photo is a good suggestion, I tried myself with a picture of Theodore Roosevelt, picking up colors from Robin Williams in "Night at the museum". The result satisfied me and did it in a short time. 

Lenovo core I7 6700HQ
8Gb Ram
Nvidia GTX 950 4 gb Memory

SSD 256Gb

HD 1TB 5400 rpm

@MBd after all alecspra asked for an other method for doing the work an he was satisfied

as far as I can see he suggests to use the frequency separation to preserve the details and the traits of the face

Lenovo core I7 6700HQ
8Gb Ram
Nvidia GTX 950 4 gb Memory

SSD 256Gb

HD 1TB 5400 rpm