You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi Everybody,

I've imported my custom brushes from Photoshop, but they lag a lot when using them in Affinity Photo. It takes a good 5-7 seconds before my mark appears, even just a single click. I'm not using a tablet, just a mouse. My brushes tend to be large (2000px), but nothing that PS couldn't handle. 

Any ideas? I thought about turning off the brush preview, but I need it to see where I'm laying down my marks. 

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

How do rulers affect the speed of the app? 

Rulers on or off didn't make a difference, thanks for the suggestion though.

I don't know why... :)

But with rulers on (and certain zoom values) texture intensity strokes are delayed and appears 2-3 seconds after your stroke.

Can you describe a bit how is your brush designed?

Spacing, Texture, Jitters, Nozzle size...

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

• 4 weeks later...

Sure- It's a pretty simple brush (and set of brushes), but it is of rather high resolution. It's just a set of different brushes made from a sample/mark of paint rollers on paper. For this particular series of brushes, all dynamic settings are at zero. I use it to lay down large areas of a paint roller mark in a single click- I don't even drag it as if to paint a brushstroke or anything. Just a simple click of a brush, sized at 2499 px. I have a lot of brushes like this, and they all work flawlessly in PS, but not Affinity Photo. 

Thanks for your help!

I tried turning off the rulers but there was no difference in lag. Reacts the same using a tablet or mouse. 

Mmm... Point and click with a 2500px nozzle brush works flawlessly and has no lag on my machine.

It even shows me the live brush preview...

Mine is a mid2012 MBPR...

So a 4years old machine... Not the very top performance champion.

Did you try to turn off brush preview from settings?

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

magicmarker,

You might try making sure other apps are not open & using a lot of memory while using AP. One way to do that is to open Activity Monitor (in the Applications > Utility folder) & check the memory column. You can also check CPU usage there & see if AP or some other apps are using large amounts of the CPU resources.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hi magicmarker,

Can you please zip and upload one or two of those brushes using this link for us to check out?

Thanks.

Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions above. Nothing seems to make a difference though. I will send you those brushes, MEB, thanks for taking a look at them. I'd like to add that I've been using them for years in PS with no issues. 

Something that I have just noticed is that if I'm zoomed in (100% or more), the brush makes its mark instantaneously with no lag issues. It's when I'm zoomed out (15%, 20%) that I have the lag- sometimes as long as 10 seconds. The further pulled out I am, the longer the lag.

• 3 years later...
On 4/4/2016 at 2:33 AM, magicmarker said:

Hi Everybody,

I've imported my custom brushes from Photoshop, but they lag a lot when using them in Affinity Photo. It takes a good 5-7 seconds before my mark appears, even just a single click. I'm using a tablet. My brushes tend to be large (2000px), but nothing that PS couldn't handle. 

Thanks!

Hello
I just bought Affinity Photo and I'm having this same problem - is there a way to solve it?
I've already changed the performance settings...

I´m working in a HP 4420 workstation - 32Gb
with a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti, so I think it´s not a "power" problem

Thanks

• 2 years later...

On affinity v2 suite and still having the same problem on my desktop machine. I did not have this issue on V1 suite.

When selecting a PS brush, it takes about 10 seconds to register the selection.

When double clicking the brush to edit it, another 10 seconds.

When clicking each slider under dynamics, about 5 seconds per slider.

This is def a serious issue.

If anyone would like video of the issue in action, please let me know.

• Ryzen 3800x
  • 32gbs DDR3 3200
  • Radeon 6750xt

I am def not lacking in the specs dept.

Could anyone offer a solution or could affinity confirm its an optimisation problem on the back end?