You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Paragraph panel feedback

Some minor nomenclature and layout inconsistencies

• Flow Options: Flow is the only section with Options in its name and I’m unsure why it’s necessary. Why not just Flow or Text Flow?
  • Justification: This section really is options for controls in the top panel area so perhaps it should be named Justification Options. But desired word and letter spacing also apply to non-justified text so either name is somewhat misleading. Perhaps a better name would be Alignment Options.
  • Leading: To use the font’s default leading you choose Default but to use the font’s default kerning you choose Auto. Should these be the same?
  • Use vs. Enabled: To enable hyphenation, you click “Use auto-hyphenation”. To enable Drop Caps or Initial Words, you click “Enabled”. Should these be the same?
  • Hyphenation > Capital Zone: This setting applies only to uppercase words, not capitalized words, so perhaps it would be better named Uppercase Zone to avoid confusion.
  • Inconsistent default state: On first installation or after clearing defaults, Paragraph opens with just Spacing expanded while Character opens with Decorations, Positioning and Transform, and Typography expanded. Was this on purpose? It seems accidental.
  • Alignment vs. Spacing: I don’t understand why the Alignment controls are considered the only ones important enough to never be collapsed. Why not Leading or Indents? I'd prefer if the Spacing controls were promoted to the main panel area and to do away with the extra break.
  • Paragraph Style: As with Character Style, I don’t feel that it needs to be included in the panel but others obviously prefer it being there. But if these controls are to be included I think they should be above all the attributes they include. I find it odd that Paragraph Style is tucked between Alignment and Spacing.
  • Inconsistent spacing: There is more space above and below “Enabled” for Initial Words than there is for Drop Caps, and there is a lot more space above “Use auto-hyphenation” than there is for either of the Enabled checkboxes.
  • Inconsistent order: In the Paragraph panel, Flow is before Bullets and Numbering. In Text Styles, Flow is after.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)