You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export "Selection without background" - by default

Maybe a side effect of what I was used to before AD (let's call it Anno Designer -AD-  :P), but I greatly appreciate the automatic selection of "Export Selection" mode (as opposed to "Export whole document") in packages such as Pixelmator or OmniGraffle when you choose Export with something highlighted, and I miss it in AD.

Is there a way I can achieve that in AD?  At the moment, everything is driven from the document size but if you're experimenting you just set up a large canvas and try out ideas, and to then have to hammer everything back into a specific document size is quite an enterprise - ironically losing the whole benefit of vectorisation to pixel related issues.

So far, the only way way I have found to exercise some control is by using an Export Persona Slice, but here too, you must start with first mapping the elements you want to export into one group, as the slice creation tool will otherwise create a slice for each component.

Maybe a modifier to the "Create Slice" button would help.  If you could alt-click or shift-click to create one SINGLE slice of all the selected layers instead of a herd of individual slices of each selected layer it would already be a big step forward.

Anything I missed?

Regards, Binc

Warning: dark, twisted sense of humour.  Do not feed after midnight.

Wheat and BS intolerant.  Only use genuine Guinness to lubricate.

What do you think about selecting the specific layers you want to see apart, duplicate them (cmd j), group them together (cmd g).  Now you have your idea that you can view in any persona, plus you can now edit it as you please without effecting your original total work.  And your export persona will now have that group which you can create a single slice for.

Yes, that's roughly what I do now, insofar that the things I want to keep go into a separate file and I use grouping to create separate slices.  

If I replicate a design on the canvas I'll eventually end up with a lot of duplication that is hard to manage - and the canvas gets full :).  

It is exactly the requirement to do all of that extra work to create slices that suggest the Persona interface could maybe do with an extra option "create slice from selected elements".  I must also check how you set the default export size of a slice, or maybe that's another optional extra to add to a slice..

Regards, Binc

Warning: dark, twisted sense of humour.  Do not feed after midnight.

Wheat and BS intolerant.  Only use genuine Guinness to lubricate.