Sign in to follow this  
Foomandoonian

Exported PDF and EPS files are raster?

I wanted to bring my vector artwork into Photoshop, but I noticed that the lines weren't very sharp. Taking a closer look at the PDF and EPS files I was using I notice they are bitmap images, not the vectors I was expecting.

(I haven't tried SVG - I don't think PS knows what to do with them.)

Is this a known problem? Am I missing something?

Yes. We are all dealing with this. I believe it will be fixed in the next release. They have a new BETA starting this coming week. And you can run it along side the M.A.S. version. I think I posted 3 times on it, forgetting myself each time... I've been bouncing between a few vector apps and head spinning.

Bryan

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012) // 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 / 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB // OS X 10.11.3 // Affinity Designer 1.4.1

Foo- I've been using Intaglio for ages, and it was so easy and did everything I needed. Then I got a retina MBP, and it almost was unusable. So then I went to iDraw, and that did a lot of what Intaglio did, but didn't have CMYK support, which I hear is coming soon. So then I see Affinity and I think wow, all my problems are solved. It looks great, I'm submitting bug reports, they are getting fixed, all is good. But then I got back to Intaglio and it can *already* do what I have to wait for A.D. to do. Simple things such as dotted lines, being able to copy/paste vector objects from other vector apps without them being rasterized, dotted lines, text paths, etc. Luckily, Intaglio was updated and is now again working, but there are still some issues I'm going back and forth with the dev on.

I'm thinking Affinity will/could do everything I need it to eventually, but it could take a year out. I will still be playing with it, and trying the betas and early releases, but I can't put it into my workflow right now. I want to badly, because it looks so great. But there are some features that needed to be 1.0 features that are not here.

I've also used Sketch, nice interface, but lacks features for press printing, such as real CMYK support, etc. Have used EZdraw and some others. I am putting my money on Affinity to become a power player in the vector arena if they keep up the good work I've seen so far.

Bryan

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012) // 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 / 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB // OS X 10.11.3 // Affinity Designer 1.4.1

We'll get there - and faster than you think - but we are a small team and doing things *right* takes time and effort... We could've rushed out a version 1.0 years ago with more features, but none of the finesse that actually makes the program a genuine alternative to pro apps - but that's *not* how we roll, so just give us a chance and we might make you very happy indeed :)

We have so many features already implemented that we have disabled simply because we are not yet happy with the user experience, that I think you'd be surprised at what's lurking under the hood! :)

Matt- A.D. is my great hope, so I'll be sticking around and playing with all the new features you add. Although I'd like every feature out of the box, I do agree that releasing a stable/solid app and working from that is much better than throwing the kitchen sink in there. There are really only a few features right now that prevent me from jumping all in, and I suspect the worst of them will be the first to be fixed.

My best app purchase in a while!

Bryan

Bryan: I've tried some of those and not even heard of others. To me Illustrator is still king, and if I were to do professional design work again that's what I'd go straight to. For now at least. As a hobbyist, I was a big fan of Inkscape on Linux, but it always felt poor on OS X. I've tried Sketch too, but I can't ever remember being so frustrated with software. I thought it may have been me - after all, people RAVE about how good Sketch is - but then I tried the Affinity beta and took to it instantly.

I imagine AD is what I'll be using for my own personal work from now. There are some features I need more than others (dotted lines, pattern fills, custom vector brushes), but I recognise that everybody has different priorities and I'm happy enough to embrace the limitations. It's actually kind of nice to get to master new software and then stay on top of it as it develops.

Foo- For me, Sketch was great if you wanted to create some quick vector "thing." But using it to do a layout, with canvas size, etc. not so much for printing. Right now, Intaglio / iDraw are firmly in my workflow for vectors, and Pixelmator for raster stuff. As AD gets mature, I would like nothing more for it to become THE app I go to and not have the need for other apps in the flow.

As you say, I will stay on top of AD as well, and look forward to each new feature. I'll be counting the days until it's my go-to vector app.

Bryan

Has there been any news on this front? I just tried exporting a PDF (I want to use vectors with a transparent background in Apple Motion) and it's still just a bitmap in a PDF. In addition, the EPS seems pretty borked (it's cropped funny).

I'm on 1.1.2

Hi Foomandoonian,

I advise you to try the latest Beta, or just wait a little more (a couple weeks) to the next update to the Mac App Store version.

A lot of improvements and fixes were introduced since version1.1.2 including a completely rewritten EPS exporter that may have fixed you problems. In case you want to try the Beta, remember to keep your MAS version installed (so you can use the beta without time restrictions) and that files saved or created with the Beta cannot be opened in the Mac App Store version until its updated (since the file format was also improved and it's incompatible with the current MAS version).

Many programs when exporting to PDF, rasterized the file. Word for example is one of them. Try making a vector image and place it in a word doc, then save as PDF. it will be rasterized.

BUT, if you use the print way, using the PDF icon on the lower left corner, you will hav two options, the first "Save as PDF" who will give you the same rasterized and compress result.

and the second option "Save as Adobe PDF", who will open a dialog (plugin from Distiller) with two settings; one to choose the type of compression and the other to launch Acrobat or nothing to do.

If you choose "Press Quality", it will save the best vector version of your PDF. Then you can import this excellent PDF into any App, and it will have some vector and editable text.

I tried that with AD and open in Photosho the PDFs, no problem in any of them.

I suggest you to check the Preferences in Photoshop.

Hope you find the solution.

Intaglio / iDraw are firmly in my workflow for vectors, and Pixelmator for raster stuff. As AD gets mature, I would like nothing more for it to become THE app I go to and not have the need for other apps in the flow.

I'm already on my way to convert my Intaglio drawings to AD ... it's easy as you can use Drag&Drop (there's probably SVG in the clipboard). I was always somewhat unhappy with Intaglio, since for me it uses to crash in the least expected moments.