You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Frequent crashes after using Resource manager

I've noticed that APu 2.2.1 tends to hang after updating modified images with the Resource manager.

I can save the file (though it doesn't actually save the changes) and close the file. But after reopening I am prompted to recover the files. When I do that, the updates are no longer there.

If instead of update I use the Replace option (I have to save, close and reopen each time), the file saves OK although a recovery option is still presented (I ignore it).

I believe something is broken in the Resource manager.

• Staff

Hi @Catshill,

This isn't something I can replicate here with afpub files I have here.  I was also updating a large number of images in an afpub file yesterday afternoon and didn't encounter an issue with those files.

To look into this further, can you provide the afpub file and images?  I've created a Dropbox link here to upload everything to :) 

21 hours ago, stokerg said:

Hi @Catshill,

This isn't something I can replicate here with afpub files I have here.  I was also updating a large number of images in an afpub file yesterday afternoon and didn't encounter an issue with those files.

To look into this further, can you provide the afpub file and images?  I've created a Dropbox link here to upload everything to :) 

I've uploaded the file for you @stokerg If you need any of the linked assets, let me know.

• Staff

Hi @Catshill,

Thanks for the file.

If you could upload the linked images that would be great.  I've got the file open on my Windows laptop now and have been able to call up the Resource Manager and replace some of your images with my own and haven't had a crash yet.

If you could also upload your latest crash report, I can get that looked at as well.  To find the report, see here :) 

• Staff

Hi @Catshill,

Thanks for all the files.

Even with all of the images, i'm not having any issues working with your file.  I've modified all images outside of Publisher, by editing them in Affinity Photo and saving them and I had no issues with your file open in Publisher, which was happily auto-updating the images as they were saved.

I've also had no trouble saving changes, I've deleted images, pages and text boxes and these were all saved.  Are any of your images being linked to from a Cloud drive like Google Drive or stored on an external hard drive/Network share?

No all the assets are on my main drive. I suspect it’s a memory issue because closing the app and rebooting clears it despite me having 64Gb ram. I’ve definitely noticed more stability issues when I use the resource manager. I think the lesson is to close down APu after working on it for a few hours and a reboot won’t hurt either.

• Staff

Hi @Catshill,

I've been speaking with QA about and have had them debug the crash reports.  They have confirmed this looks like a known issue affecting some users and causing a crash after certain actions.  They have logged this with the Developers and I've added your crash reports to that report and hopefully it will be addressed shortly.

Sadly I don't have a workaround you can use to avoid the crash :(  

I'll be sure to update here with any extra information I get on the issue and the 'Serif Info bot' will also update here when this has been resolved :) 

4 hours ago, stokerg said:

Hi @Catshill,

I've been speaking with QA about and have had them debug the crash reports.  They have confirmed this looks like a known issue affecting some users and causing a crash after certain actions.  They have logged this with the Developers and I've added your crash reports to that report and hopefully it will be addressed shortly.

Sadly I don't have a workaround you can use to avoid the crash :(  

I'll be sure to update here with any extra information I get on the issue and the 'Serif Info bot' will also update here when this has been resolved :) 

Thank you for looking into this and following up.