You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can't get rid of transparent space around image

Hi everybody

I scanned an image that I want to add text to, but first need to rotate it as it's slightly crooked. The trouble is after I do this I'm left with transparent (checked) space around the image that refuses to go away. I realize I must be making some sort of cardinal error in the process but being a new user of Affinity Designer aren't sure where I'm slipping up.

Here is what I've been doing:

Open image > create artboard > select move tool > deselect lock children > rotate image > select background layer > use vector crop tool to get rid of unwanted space around image > cut image > apply "New from Clipboard".

It doesn't matter whether I crop a little or a lot off the image, the transparent space persists around its edges. How do I stop this from happening?

Many thanks!

Hi @Rollobot and welcome to the forums.

Since the Affinity programs themselves don't have a feature to automatically fill in missing areas after cropping, you have to do it by hand.

Affinity Designer, however, is quite limited here as far as post-processing pixel images is concerned. You also need Affinity Photo if you want to use the Pixelpersona.

Your workflow with Affinity Designer is, for me, way too time-consuming. It would be faster with the Crop Tool in Affinity Photo. Here you can straighten the image and crop it to the size you want. Then just fill in the missing areas with, for example, the clone tool.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3235)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

By the way: Level 5 vegans do not eat anything that casts a shadow.

I installed a free photo editor, which enables me to rotate and crop without any problem. That's all I need it to do. I purchased Affinity Designer to work primarily on comic books. A vector-based software is better for doing that. Anyway, problem solved, I suppose.

I think you might have chosen the wrong technique to do what you want to do – it sounds a bit overly-complicated to me as I understand it.

Can you give us an example of what you start with and what you want to end up with?

Once we have a better idea of what you are trying to, someone should be able to come up with a ‘sleeker’ method.

• Staff

Welcome to the Affinity Forums @Rollobot!

8 hours ago, Rollobot said:

Open image > create artboard > select move tool > deselect lock children > rotate image > select background layer > use vector crop tool to get rid of unwanted space around image > cut image > apply "New from Clipboard".

It doesn't matter whether I crop a little or a lot off the image, the transparent space persists around its edges. How do I stop this from happening?

As above, if you could provide a sample image/Affinity document - or a screen recording showing the exact steps and results you're achieving, I'd be happy to make suggestions here :)

Try using a rectangle.

1. Overlay and rotate the rectangle to match the images skew and obviously fitting the rectangles edges to the images edges, well approximately.
  2. On the transform panels R: input box input 0 and press enter to rotate the rectangle back straight, make sure lock children is unchecked.
  3. Now you can create an Artboard with Size: Selection.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

37 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

On the transform panels R: input box input 0 and press enter to rotate the rectangle back straight, make sure lock children is unchecked.

Wouldn't that undo the rotating (straightening of the image) the OP needed to do to the image, in the first place

(see first post, in this thread)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

4 hours ago, Komatös said:

Affinity Designer, however, is quite limited here as far as post-processing pixel images is concerned. You also need Affinity Photo if you want to use the Pixelpersona.

I don't own Photo but I am able to use Pixel persona in Designer.

7 hours ago, KarinC said:

I don't own Photo but I am able to use Pixel persona in Designer.

I own them all but @KarinC is right. Even if you do not own AP you still have AD's Pixel persona you can use. So one way to fill in around a rotated raster image would be to select its layer in the layer panel, use the Flood Select Tool (a.k.a. the magic wand) turn off Continuous in the Context toolbar, & click on the transparent area to select all of around the rotated edges. You could then use the Flood Fill Tool also with Continuous off to fill that area with a solid color of your choice.

(You may have to fiddle with the tolerance setting to exactly get the correct selection.)

Slightly more work to select the transparent parts than with AP's Select > Alpha Range > Fully Transparent but not too bad.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V23.0 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

20 hours ago, Rollobot said:

The easiest way to get rid of superfluous edge pixels from Designer is via export to png:

• Select the area or layers you want
  • export to png, set Area to selection only or selected area
  • Open png to continue editing.

Unfortunately Design lacks some features of Photo, like crop (on Document/canvas), and merge visible. There are workarounds like above to achieve the same results via intermediate steps.

Mac mini M1 A2348

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

13 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

The easiest way to get rid of superfluous edge pixels from Designer is via export to png:

Not sure I would agree that is the easiest but it certainly is one way! 😆

14 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

Unfortunately Design lacks some features of Photo, like crop (on Document/canvas), and rasterize and trim.

??? AD has that in both the Designer & Pixel Personas on my Mac. I just right-click on the layer in the Layers panel & there it is.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V23.0 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

True, merge visible is missing. (Not rasterize)

Mac mini M1 A2348

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

12 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

• Select the area or layers you want
  • export to png, set Area to selection only or selected area
  • Open png to continue editing.

Unfortunately Design lacks some features of Photo, like crop (on Document/canvas), and merge visible. There are workarounds like above to achieve the same results via intermediate steps.

That did the trick!

Exporting the image as a png, which is the format I wanted for the finished product anyway, and then opening and cropping the image may not be the most elegant solution, but it works and saves me having to use another program.

Thank you so much.

And thanks to all those who replied.