You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I just downloaded the trial version of Affinity Photo v 1.4, and it's absolutely spectacular. Just one aesthetic point - the circle cursor that appears when I select a brush tool is pixellated and fuzzy, the way some apps that don't work with the Retina display look. 

I'd attach a screen shot, but it doesn't seem to capture the cursor.

I have an early-2013 MBP 15" w/retina display, running OSX 10.11.4. Does anyone else see this?

Affinity Photo 1.4; OSX 10.11.4 El Capitan

MBP Retina 15" Early 2013; 8GB; 

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

Intel Core i7; 4 cores; 2.4 GHz

Even though my iMac does not have a Retina display, I see something similar if I increase cursor size in System Preferences > Accessibility > Display. This also affects all of the other tool cursors like the paint brush or eraser that display a circle showing the extent of the tool's effect -- at cursor settings larger than normal, the circle (but not the effect itself or its preview) will be displayed proportionally larger than the actual extent of the tool.

There probably isn't anything Affinity can do about this since it is a system level feature.

You might also notice another thing the Accessibility > Display preference settings affect in AP & AD, one they may be able to change. That is that if you enable the "Increase contrast" setting, the white disclosure triangles in the Layers panel turn black, making them hard to see against the grey background.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

It's odd, though - when I increase cursor size in the System Prefs, certain cursor shapes, like the arrow and the hand, scale up cleanly in AP, whereas others, like the brush circles and the pen tool, become pixellated. Ideally, the circle wouldn't scale up at all, since as you point out, it no longer represents the actual extent of the tool. But that may be out of Affinity's hands.

I'm glad you explained why my disclosure triangles were so dim, too. Nice if it could be fixed, but easy enough to work around.  (One of the primary reasons I'm dumping Pixelmator is its insistence on using a dark, low-contrast UI.)

Hey chap, to get a screenshot that shows your cursor use Preview and go to File > take screen shot > from entire screen. The go back to Affinity (it'll time down from 10 or so seconds) put your cursor where you want it and it will take a screenshot of the entire window. Then just crop out the bits you don't need.

I use this when making tutorial screenshots and I need to show the cursor from time to time.

retrograde - thanks for the tip. For some reason, though, the screen shot shows the circle, arrow, and hand at their actual, unmagnified sizes. The pen tool, however, is captured at its magnified size, along with its actual-size representation superimposed. I'd be interested to know if you get the same results. (I've set cursor magnification to the max here.)

post-29300-0-40632600-1459702531_thumb.png.

Did you have Accessibility>Cursor Size cranked up at all? I was showing what the Preview > Screen Shot captured when I had Cursor Size set to max magnification (I was only seeing the magnified version - Preview seems to have "added" the actual-sized version in its capture.)

No change after bumping up the cursor in settings. I can see the the huge cursor, but the cursor in the screenshot is "normal" sized.

Edit: maybe it has something to do with your retina display?...

• 1 year later...

I have the exact same issue. Has anyone been able to find a fix?

I'm using Win10 with 2 monitors (2560x1440 and 1920x1080). I even tried it on my 4k TV (250% scale) and same problem.

I played with the system cursor size and no changes at all.