You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

workspace backgropund

I really don't like the very dark background to the work workspace but can't find a way to change it. Is there one? help somebody please!

If there isn't a way to change to s lighter colour, then is this something the developement team would look at, please.

Hi, sorry to jump in on this thread, and I hope you don't mind.  I am also a new user and not sure if my query is the same as what the original poster was referring to but I would also like to change the dark user interface... i.e toolbars and general program surrounding area.  I can lighten the workspace as described above by MEB but that wasn't the dark area I would like to change. 

Hi MEB... thanks for the quick reply.... appreciate it.  Yes I have tried that and whilst it does marginally lighten it, i would like to swap this away from dark grey completely as whilst I am loving the program, I am finding the very dark background to be too hard to see clearly.  Otherwise its looking really impressive.

• Staff

If you're looking for a light interface (like iPhoto), there's no way to get it as far as i know. I think they went with a dark interface because they are positioning Affinity Designer as a professional application. And like other pro apps on the Mac (Motion, Final Cut Pro, Adobe CC etc) they all feature a dark interface.

Hi guys

DaveS is not alone in this query about the all black interface - I too find it hard to see the tools and I would prefer a light grey background similar to Drawplus at present if a choice could be made - Perhaps one for a wish list then  :mellow:

MacBookPro 15-inch mid 2010 intel core I7,  NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 512 MB, Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5.

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps I'm the odd one out, I like the black, I think it's all shiny, new, modern, efficient looking, makes me think I'll get great results.....  :)

But it's nice that it can be changed if required. I'm sticking, though :)

MacBook Pro 11,2,  Intel i7 4 core, 8Gb RAM, Graphics Intel Iris Pro.

iPad Pro 11.4,  256Gb, 10.5 Retina, A10X Fusion chip, Apple pencil

Desktop upgraded to Win10 64-bit, Intel i5 quad core, 8Gb RAM, NVIDIA GefORCE GT730

The Win-10 laptop is on permanent loan to my daughter......

My Flickr Album

I

But this is highly subjective, some people may prefer light interfaces.

I think that was my point. I like the default black but I am pleased that there is an option to change the colour for those who don't like the black  :rolleyes:

PS, some of the emoticons have got the strangest pop-up names, but that's not an Affinity problem  :D

Desktop upgraded to Win10 64-bit, Intel i5 quad core, 8Gb RAM, NVIDIA GefORCE GT730

My Flickr Album

All singing from the same sheet  :)  :)

My Flickr Album

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

I was delighted to see this topic, and the helpful replies aired in the Forum. I now have my drawingboard background a nice pale grey, so I no longer scream in pain when I look from it to my work.

However, the Toolbar is still black, and the dropdown menus are grey on black, this, as Sunset so poetically put it, is:-

'all shiny, new, modern, efficient looking, makes me think I'll get great results.....   :)'

Why didn't the designers go the whole hog, and make the print black on a black background in the drop down menus? That would have been even more shiny and modern.

Oh, yes. That's a pity, the primary purpose of a drop down menu is that it should be read.

My 74 year old eyes have trouble reading grey print on a black background, and I doubt that I am alone!

Please, the modern, trendy people can still have it how they want it, but how do I change the colour scheme of the drop down menus from its present configuration into a staid, musty, old fashioned but readable for me, black on white.

I have waited many years for this, despite the teething niggles, well done Serif, please continue the good work.

Petra.

{8 Core, 8 Gig, Mac Pro with SS Main drive.}

I'm with you all the way, Petra! I'm into that modern look at the moment, it does make me feel creative, I'm even toying with the idea of getting a shiny black desk with my lottery winnings, but by then I might also be screaming for plain white with black writing in the userface and, if you get your wish to customise the interface they way you want, that will be a very good thing :)

And because I'm completely loopy at times and think faster than I type, I had to change that first sentence as it originally said:

i'm into shiny black at the moment......................eeek!

My Flickr Album

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who found it difficult to read, Petra. Developers are usually a lot younger than you and I, I guess and don't realise what it difference it makes to us. I'm more interested in legibility than a modern or otherwise interface!!