You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer 1

When I launch the program, it opens up and allows me to select a document.  Once open, the program shuts down after a few seconds.  I have uninstalled and installed again with the same issue.  I have cleared my cache and cookies and still the same issue.  Can anyone help with this please?

Hi @H Toney and welcome to the forums,

Are you able to share your Affinity Designer Document (along with any linked files) so we can take a look at what may be causing the issue?

Affinity Designer 2.4.0.2301 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0.2301 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0.2301
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.8

Also, what OS do you use, @H Toney?

When did this start happening, and what system changes (if any) had you made before then?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.3, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.3.1

33 minutes ago, Hangman said:

Hi @H Toney and welcome to the forums,

Are you able to share your Affinity Designer Document (along with any linked files) so we can take a look at what may be causing the issue?

It's happening with any document or file I try to upload.  The program just shuts down after a few seconds no matter what I do. 

2 minutes ago, H Toney said:

I'm using Windows 10. I haven't made any changes

So it has been working fine for some time, and just today has stopped working?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Thanks. So, perhaps some Windows Update has messed something up.

If you open the application Preferences (Ctrl+, or Edit > Preferences), and click on Performance, do you have Hardware Acceleration (OpenCL) enabled near the end of the list of options? If so, disable it, and see if that helps.

-- Walt
PC:

6 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Thanks. So, perhaps some Windows Update has messed something up.

If you open the application Preferences (Ctrl+, or Edit > Preferences), and click on Performance, do you have Hardware Acceleration (OpenCL) enabled near the end of the list of options? If so, disable it, and see if that helps.

That didn't help. It's still closing the program after a few seconds

OK, one more simple fix to try:

1. Press and hold Ctrl while you start the application.
  2. When you get the Clear User Data dialog, release the Ctrl key. Note: If your system is like mine, you may need to watch for the application icon to show up on the Taskbar, and click it, before you see that dialog. Don't release Ctrl until you see the dialog.
  3. Leave the first two items checked, but you can probably uncheck the 3rd one (Reset Studio). Click Reset. With luck, that will help.

-- Walt
PC:

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

OK, one more simple fix to try:

1. Press and hold Ctrl while you start the application.
  2. When you get the Clear User Data dialog, release the Ctrl key. Note: If your system is like mine, you may need to watch for the application icon to show up on the Taskbar, and click it, before you see that dialog. Don't release Ctrl until you see the dialog.
  3. Leave the first two items checked, but you can probably uncheck the 3rd one (Reset Studio). Click Reset. With luck, that will help.

Thank you, but that didn't help either. 

The next thing to try, probably, is updating your GPU drivers.

-- Walt
PC:

Then I will bow out, and let someone else provide more information rather than risk creating further issues. Best wishes!

-- Walt
PC:

4 hours ago, H Toney said:

When I launch the program, it opens up and allows me to select a document.  Once open, the program shuts down after a few seconds.  I have uninstalled and installed again with the same issue.  I have cleared my cache and cookies and still the same issue.  Can anyone help with this please?

I have same issue, on opening anything it closes down :(

On 10/12/2023 at 3:45 AM, stokerg said:

Hi @SAXI69and Welcome to the Forums,

Can you first check to see if you have any crash reports and attach the latest one?  To find your crash reports see here.

Another thing to try, click Edit>Preferences>Performance and if Hardware Acceleration at the bottom of that window is ticked, untick and close Preferences, you'll be asked to restart Affinity and once restarted, try opening an image again and let me know the results.

I hope I did this correctly.  Thank you for your help.

• Staff

Hi @H Toney,

The crash reports haven't highlighted anything specific causing the crash.  

You mention Affinity crashes after you've opened it, does the crash also happen if you don't open an existing file and just start a New Document?

It would also be worth making sure you have the latest Windows updates installed and seeing if Designer still crashes after installing any available Windows updates.

23 hours ago, stokerg said:

Hi @H Toney,

The crash reports haven't highlighted anything specific causing the crash.  

You mention Affinity crashes after you've opened it, does the crash also happen if you don't open an existing file and just start a New Document?

It would also be worth making sure you have the latest Windows updates installed and seeing if Designer still crashes after installing any available Windows updates.

I have installed the latest updates for Windows. It crashes every time even when creating a new document.

• Staff

Hi @H Toney,

I need to get someone from QA to debug the crash report and see if they can get something helpful from it.  As we don't know which crash report relates to the crash from the multiple you uploaded, can you just call up the crash report folder again and this time, attach the very latest crash report?  This should just be 1 report and i can get that looked at.

From everything you've replied with so far, it is looking more like an issue with the graphics card drivers, but i'd rather have that confirmed before you try to tackle that side of things.

16 minutes ago, stokerg said:

Hi @H Toney,

I need to get someone from QA to debug the crash report and see if they can get something helpful from it.  As we don't know which crash report relates to the crash from the multiple you uploaded, can you just call up the crash report folder again and this time, attach the very latest crash report?  This should just be 1 report and i can get that looked at.

From everything you've replied with so far, it is looking more like an issue with the graphics card drivers, but i'd rather have that confirmed before you try to tackle that side of things.

I'm already at work. I will have to upload it when I get off later tonight. Thanks for the help.

12 hours ago, stokerg said:

Hi @H Toney,

This is the latest crash report from this morning.

884cfa14-2520-4516-beaa-f205c0395912.dmp

• 2 weeks later...