You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I've got a few questions:

1. Is there a way to move the starting point of e.g. a marquee selection while still in the process of selecting? In Photoshop, this works by starting to drag, holding Space and continuing to drag. I use this all the time. (It works for the built-in OS X screenshot facility as well, btw.)

2. When the prefs window is the topmost one and I try to close it using Cmd+W, I always end up closing the document window behind it instead. Is there a reason for this awkward behaviour?

3. [ and ] don't change the brush size for me, although they're set as shortcuts in the prefs window. I assume this is a bug? (I am using a German keyboard, where square brackets are entered through Optn+5 and Optn+6.)

• Staff

Welcome to the forums tajmahal :)

1. The same option isn't available in Affinity Photo. An alternative way of doing it in Affinity Photo is to jump to the Quick Mask by pressing Q and then moving the selection using by pressing V.

2. This has been mentioned before and it's with our developers. 

3. The only way around this is to manually change the shortcuts in the Preferences window. You can also hold CTRL + ALT + Left click while dragging to the Left or Right to resize the Brush Size. 

1. That's a pity. Your workaround doesn't seem to work for me, at least not without releasing the mouse button. What I want to do is start a marquee selection, reposition the upper and left edges of it, and then finish selecting the right and bottom edges. This is extremely useful for selecting rectangles with rounded corners, where you have a hard time starting the selection from the exact "invisible" corner point. Is there a chance for this feature to get added? I'm absolutely amazed it's not there yet as I consider this a very basic Photoshop selection feature I thought everybody used. (Edit: I just checked, and even Pixelmator has this. Please do add it to Affinity Photo!)

2. Great to hear this!

3. I don't want to change the shortcuts. I just want the default shortcuts that are visible in the Preferences window to actually work! The Ctrl + Alt + Drag shortcut is neat though.

• 2 weeks later...

The marquee tool really needs this feature.  I have been wanting this ever since the beta of Designer. I always have to jump to Photoshop to do the nitty gritty work, that are cumbersome to do in Designer.

• 1 year later...

Another workaround could be, using a rounded rectangle shape without outline fill set to 55 %.

Position it and make selection from layer ctrl-shift-O, delete the rectangle layer.

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

On 6.4.2016 at 0:48 PM, Leigh said:

3. The only way around this is to manually change the shortcuts in the Preferences window. You can also hold CTRL + ALT + Left click while dragging to the Left or Right to resize the Brush Size. 

CRTL + ALT + Left mouse button does not work with me (Windows). Why is it not like in Photoshop: Alt + right mouse button?

There are other shortcuts, drag on the word  on the context menu (i.e. Width) position the pointer over the size numbers (in the size entry box) and turn the mouse wheel, use the [ ] keys

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

On 4/1/2016 at 11:04 AM, tajmahal said:

1. Is there a way to move the starting point of e.g. a marquee selection while still in the process of selecting? In Photoshop, this works by starting to drag, holding Space and continuing to drag. I use this all the time. (It works for the built-in OS X screenshot facility as well, btw.)

Thanks! I never knew about that capability of the OS X screenshot facility until you mentioned it here. :)

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7