You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Always move by whole pixel (never see decimals in Transform panel)

Hi,

Is there a way to work with Affinity Designer so that I never get decimals in the Transform panel? I'm getting mixed results with using "Force Pixel Alignment" and "Move by Whole Pixel" and due to snapping/aligning, I sometimes still end up getting : X: 900px | Y:62,5px

Of course this makes sense, if you align something in the middle, and the heights don't match, you do the divide by 2, and get a ,5 decimal... but it makes me always having to check the transform panel to make sure I don't have "badly" positioned elements.

The reason I want this is for better export. I found that export works best if things are aligned on full pixel value.

Maybe you can change the logic of the "Force Pixel Alignment" and/or "Move by Whole Pixel" to actually reflect this and do rounding of values whenever decimals are present.

The explanations above are a bit all over the place, hopefully you understand the goal.

If I were to go deeper into implementation, I would say this would make sense for "Move by Whole Pixel" with the rounding of the X / Y values. If user holds ALT / OPTION key pressed, then maybe allow decimal values, as an exception.

Width and Height with decimals are maybe not that big of a deal, because the export slice can be set to a whole number, but the reference point (X/Y) is pretty important.

• Staff

Hi Pavel,

If you disable Move By Whole Pixels and left Force Pixel Alignment checked from the beginning it should do what you want, unless you use the transform panel to perform math operations that end with decimal values. Snapping will not interfere in this case because all objects are all pixel aligned from the beginning.

Currently there's no way to automatically adjust existing object's position so they fit the pixel grid.

Hi,

This is what I also thought, but snapping does affect the X / Y position and this can sometimes be a value with ,5. Please notice the attached screenshot. The 2 rectangles are created, then I move the black rectangle around. Without snapping it always goes to a position that has a full pixel value (great!). But then it snapped to align its middle to the bottom line of the gray rectangle, at which point the Y value received a ,5 px.

This is why I'm thinking there might be a need for a rounding method to be applied on the pixel value when "Force Pixel Alignment" is set. I don't want to disable snapping just because I'm worried about decimal values in X/Y :-(
And at the same time, I want to be able to create objects, align them, move or resize them, without worrying about decimal values...

post-2036-0-58508000-1459774570_thumb.png

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...
On 4/1/2016 at 1:35 PM, MEB said:

Hi Pavel,

If you disable Move By Whole Pixels and left Force Pixel Alignment checked from the beginning it should do what you want, unless you use the transform panel to perform math operations that end with decimal values. Snapping will not interfere in this case because all objects are all pixel aligned from the beginning.

Currently there's no way to automatically adjust existing object's position so they fit the pixel grid.

I also think this should get more attention.

This is still driving me nuts 6 years later!

I am making pixel-perfect User Interface design and my X and Y keeps getting snapped on places where it will become not whole number.

If you do this with curves and then Rasterize them, it creates half-transparent pixels.

I have to constantly watch if it didn't accidentally snap to middle of something and it is incredibly annoying.

PLEASE, try to find some more elegant solution. This is really core of the vector software.

Thanks

22 minutes ago, Raptosauru5 said:

I am making pixel-perfect User Interface design and my X and Y keeps getting snapped on places where it will become not whole number.

Only have a pixel grid and Move by Whole pixels for snapping. Meaning: Turn off midpoint snapping, this will mess you up real bad.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.