You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

A principle question about embedded fonts:

If i choose the option in the export dialog "embed all fonts", i expect when i open the pdf file in a program like CorelDraw, that there does not come up a font substation dialog because of missing fonts.

What is going wrong? I chose Compatibility PDF 1.4 (Acrobat 5). All other PDF - Versions do not open up in Corel.

If you need  further details, feel free to ask.

Any hints?

Attached you will find an example pdf file with different font types embedded.

In CorelDraw X4 none of the fonts will be recognised. 

For this example i choose fonts, that are not installed on the windows machine.

The PDF is 1.4 (Acrobat5) compatible. It is the only pdf-type that works in CorelDraw X4 to X6.

See the attached Screenshots from CorelDraw.

Even when i choose import as Curves, the font import - Dialog appears.

Replacing the fonts is of course unusable. 

Font_Example.pdf

post-19334-0-85257600-1459529520_thumb.png

post-19334-0-68438200-1459529521_thumb.png

I am no expert.  But what seems to be happening is that when the document is opened up in a program that allows editing, the font must exist on that system.  But open your file in a viewer, like Preview, a web browser, etc.  The file seems to open and display the file contents fine, fonts and all.  You can zoom in close, without any pixelation, indicating it is a font and not a rasterized version. Since Corel would be an editing program, it probably requires the font to be resident on the system to open up the file.  Maybe a copyright protection mechanism?  

Zendor is a PostScript Type 1 font. All of the others (including Euclid, which is described as Type 1 in the text on the page) are CID-keyed TrueType fonts.

I don't understand the references to 'Type FontSuitcase', 'Type TTC' and 'Type dfont'. TTC files are TrueType Collections (i.e. archives of TTF fonts).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

The PDF is 1.4 (Acrobat5) compatible. It is the only pdf-type that works in CorelDraw X4 to X6.

It looks like Corel Draw doesn't support PDF embedded fonts. Some apps don't. It's quite hard to do. Although Affinity can embed fonts in the PDFs it exports, even it doesn't read fonts embedded in the PDFs it imports (yet).

I gather switching off File > Export > PDF > More > Allow advance features helps produce PDFs that Corel Draw can read.

To Dave Harris:

Allow advanced features is already off, otherwise Corel does not open the file with an error message: file corrupt.

I will test your hypothesis "It looks like Corel Draw doesn't support PDF embedded fonts." If Corel to Corel can read embedded fonts, maybe it is a platform or PDF-Format issue.

To Alfred:

dfont, ttc (Truetype-Container), and FontSuitcase (The type Mac OS X tells it like that) can not be imported into windows. They have to be converted first to ttf or otf. Therefor the separate test-cases.

​But even ttf and otf are not used and recognised, although they can be installed easily on windows.