You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text isn't positioned correctly within frame

MikeTO

I feel like I've reported the first half of this before but I can't find a bug report. In any case, there's more information in this screen recording.

1. I can't select the second line of text - or rather, it's getting selected but isn't shown as selected. Scaling the frame taller shows the selection.

2. Clicking the show overflow text icon positions the text differently in the frame, something that should never happen since it should only show/hide overflow. And this is not just cosmetic, the text is positioned differently when exported to PDF, too. I tested exporting with measurement lines.

test.afpub

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

Hi @MikeTO,

The cause is the Prevent Widowed Last Lines option set in the Text Style for Body 1...

The font hierarchy for the Callout paragraph style is Base 1 > Body 1 > Sidebar > Caption > Callout. So either disabling the option in the Body 1 text style Paragraph Flow settings or via the Paragraph Panel will then show the second line of text with its highlight.

As to whether this is how things should work is, of course, a different matter, i.e., should the second line still show a highlight if selected when Prevent Widowed Last Lines is enabled or is it not shown because some of the text for the selected line of text is hidden owing to the hidden text overflow?

14 hours ago, MikeTO said:

Clicking the show overflow text icon positions the text differently in the frame, something that should never happen since it should only show/hide overflow. And this is not just cosmetic, the text is positioned differently when exported to PDF, too. I tested exporting with measurement lines.

I think this is simply because the text is centred vertically in a text frame that isn't tall enough to accommodate all the text... When clicking the show overflow text icon to reveal the hidden text, the text is then recentred based on three lines (using the centre of the second line of text as its vertical centre point) rather than two lines of text when the overflow text is hidden...

When Top Aligned then there is no layout change apart from revealing the hidden line of text... This is the same behaviour as v1 and across all apps...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2437)

MacBook Pro M3 Max, 36 GB Unified Memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, Magic Mouse

@Hangman I know why these two bugs are happening but changing an attribute should not cause text selection highlighting to disappear and toggling Show Overflow shouldn't change the position of text. The first is annoying, the second is serious.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

1 hour ago, MikeTO said:

changing an attribute should not cause text selection highlighting to disappear

@MikeTO, I agree with you here...

1 hour ago, MikeTO said:

toggling Show Overflow shouldn't change the position of text.

That all depends on the height of your text frame... in your example, your text frame effectively has a random height in which the text is vertically centred. This means the text is simply adhering to the vertical alignment setting when you show the overflow text. This doesn't happen when the text frame is set to fit text...

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2437)

37 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

Show Overflow should not change the baseline of the first line of text relative to the frame

I agree if the text in the text frame is top aligned but not when it is centred vertically in a text frame with a random height…

• 6 months later...

One of these issues was tagged last week when I reported it again. Could the other issue please be reviewed? I use vertical centre justification a lot and I dislike that this cosmetic toggle changes how my documents print and export.

Clicking the overflow icon should just show/hide overflowing text but if you chose overflowing text it causes the frame's vertical alignment setting to be ignored. If it was centre or bottom aligned or justified vertically, showing overflow will cause it to be top aligned. Help makes no mention of this.

I understand Affinity is doing this but if it's centre or bottom aligned, it should remain that way and the overset text should just appear below the frame. With vertical justification, Affinity should leverage the spacing required to vertically justify the text in the frame to continue spacing the overset text.

image.png.3eb4aaddec271e2ad73a72de85c13010.png