You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Using photos as a reference

jbw

I'd like to request the ability to see photos placed off to the side of a drawing, for people like me who use photos as a reference when drawing. Currently when you move a photo off to the side it disappears, as shown in the attached screenshot. Ideally I'd like to be able to see those photos when placed next to a drawing.

post-1114-0-61793900-1413068305_thumb.png

JBW- Funny, I like what it does exactly, cutting off anything not part of the canvas. I export a lot of PDFs/images, and I often create artwork that extends past the edges. When I use iDraw, for instance, I have to see all that junk past the canvas. But I love how A.D. keeps it hidden.

A very easy option would be to include a toggle for "Show/Hide Canvas Mat" or something as such. But I do like how the mat around the canvas hides my mess :)

Bryan

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012) // 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 / 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB // OS X 10.11.3 // Affinity Designer 1.4.1

MEB- Yes, we need a way to toggle it ON/OFF. Case in point, I like it how it is, jbw wants it changed. I think a simple checkbox in preferences would suffice.

Bryan

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012) // 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 / 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB // OS X 10.11.3 // Affinity Designer 1.4.1

Or a separate floating palette, like a Reference Image palette. It would display image(s) or a folder of images. There could be a next/previous navigation, zoom and panning controls in it. It would work just like a floating palette, be able to be resized or collapsed like the others. It could work like the media browser -- drag and drop images or folders on it.. 

Manga Studio has a feature like this named "Sub View Palette" (gotta love the sublime surreal naming of things in Manga Studio!). It's a great feature that allows me to load up reference images, so my characters stay "on model." It's implemented in MS as a app-wide thing, the images that are loaded up (have to load up images one at a time) and will remain the same until deleted in the viewer for all new documents.

If it was document-specific, different documents having their own images in the reference image palette, it would be so much more useful.

Mac OS X Catinlina, 2014 iMac, 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, Huion Kamvas Pro 22 Graphic Tablet, 16GB RAM, MacOS10.12 || Magic keyboard w/numeric keypad, wireless trackpad, Kengsington Edge Trackball || Flux Capacitor in a secure location

---

I encourage kids to go ahead and play on my lawn. I mean, how else can I make sure the death-traps work?

Artrage has a similar feature where you can bring in reference and it saves with the file so it's always there, until you delete it of course. This feature, while maybe not essential would be convenient for certain applications...

• 2 years later...
  • 5 years later...

Procreate has a reference feature with toggle switch and you can move it about the canvas. That would be a great feature to allow users to move it past the canvas. PS allows you to split the canvas and you can zoom in on the reference image where you want to and the same for the canvas. I see both of these options useful as long as I can turn them off. I do not always need a reference image, but when I'm doing portraits of someone it really helps, so I don't have to zoom out and memorize what I'm seeing. It gets frustrating even though I'm getting better at doing it blindly like this.

I'm a software analyst and see the benefits in all 3 of these options.

• Staff

Hi @RussBishopSr,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
You can also display two views of the same document in Affinity apps. To do it go to menu View > New View. If you are using macOS you then have to switch to Separated Mode (menu Window > Separated Mode) to be able to arrange the document windows (and toolbars) side by side or as you see fit; on Windows you have to detach the document tabs form the application window dragging the documents from their tabs to the center of the application window until they detach or going to menu Window > Float (or Float All if you want have all document tabs detached at once).

There's no way to access/use the pasteboard in Affinity Photo. In Designer you can control whether you can use/see object placed on it going to menu View > View Mode > Clip To Canvas. With it ticked objects are NOT visible in the pasteboard area (they are clipped to the canvas area), with this option disabled you can see the objects placed in the pasteboard area- Note this command is only valid for regular non-artboard based documents. With artboard based documents the pasteboard area can always be used.