You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AP Combatibility with Canon 80D

I just ordered this new camera today, Canon 80D, its a newly released camera. Estimated delivery is not until next week so I have been reading the online manual. It says raw images taken with this camera may not be able to be displayed on SOME commercial software for developing. It says you have to use DPP (which is a free canon download). I used DPP before purchasing AP, dont like it and have been so happy with AP and processing my raw images from my current Canon T5i. Does anyone know if AP is indeed compatible with the Canon 80D?

Edit to add: after reading above, Its unclear. I do intend to first download raw images from camera to my computer, export them to Finder and then open them in AP. But since you have to take those same steps to develop the raw images in DPP, I think the manual is suggesting you cant Open in some software.

• Staff

Hi PhotoNewbie,

No, currently Canon 80D RAW (.CR2) images are not supported neither using Serif Labs RAW engine nor Apple (Core Image RAW).

Serif Labs RAW engine opens them but they look as if they have a purple overlay. Apple Photos isn't also able to display them.

This doesn't mean this model will not be supported in a future update.

Thank you so much, its not to late to cancel that order.

IMO it's just a question of weeks for those files to be supported. I wouldn't cancel the order of such a great camera just for that.

OS X 10.12 - AP 1.6.6 - AD 1.6

I was able to cancel the 80D and changed it to a 70D (canon). Older technology but I'm ok with that since I have not seen any reason it wont work when shooting in raw, both with AP and my Mac. Only reason to replace my current T5i is to be able to give it to my SIL so he can take pics of my grandkids playing high sports. Thanks for the quick response.

i can confirm that the raw files produced by the canon 70d are handled flawlessly by ap. i own a 70d and i'm able to process them with dpp or ap, the result is great both ways. imho dpp deals slightly better than ap with extreme noise (but i can't exclude it's because i just can't fine tune ap noise settings as needed); anyway ap's develop persona is waaaay more flexible and powerful than dpp, so i choose which one to use according to the settings i shot the raw images with.

take care,

stefano

you won't be disappointed by the 70d, it's powerful and really flexible. the 80d represents its evolution, but the big step further would be the 6d, mainly because it has a full frame sensor (while the 80d has an aps-c sensor, like the 70d).

take care,

stefano

Use RPP 64 to convert your RAW files.   Purchase that Canon 80D.   RPP 64 is an excellent RAW developer.  And that is exactly what it is.  Like developing film with chemicals, RPP 64 does the same thing with RAW files.

There is a small fee to completely use all the RPP 64.  Just a small donation.   It's not a subscription.   All update have no additional costs.   Read about the two gentlemen the developed this application and you will see why it's so popular.

Kind Regard,  David

PS:   Purchase that Canon ! !   I personally own two EOS 6D's