lmartins

Distribute horizontally not producing the expected results

Hi,

Yes, each icon and its corresponding legend are inside a layer group. I have seen this problem before but didn't reported because I imagined it would be something being worked on.

A different test in a new file with the same elements still gives same results.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v1jps2sjxf67o70/Screenshot%202016-03-30%2019.35.45.png?dl=0

You can download that file here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29267/alignment%20test.afdesign

This is the difference between the Layer dropdown (see attached) and the Align Button dialog box (what MEB used).

They do give different results and it is a bit confusing. They should be consolidated as two options in the same place.

The dropdown places each group the same distance apart center to center.

The Button dialog makes the spaces in-between each group equal.

post-12544-0-86344900-1459367263_thumb.png

Ah ok, I had to add the buttons for "Space Horizontally" to achieve the correct alignment. This is not as obvious as it should be, considering that when I have the objects selected the option to "Space Horizontally" doesn't appear anywhere (menu or toolbars) unless we add that buttons to the toolbar.

Thanks.

Ah ok, I had to add the buttons for "Space Horizontally" to achieve the correct alignment. 

"Space Horizontally" can be reached with the default arrange button. (2 clicks)

"Space Horizontally" can be reached with the default arrange button. (2 clicks)

If you say so I believe you. They weren't on my setup and im pretty sure I haven't removed them. Thank you for your input.

If you say so I believe you. They weren't on my setup and im pretty sure I haven't removed them. Thank you for your input.

You can see the default settings and the small arrange button in many screenshots in the help and the free ezine.  ;)

25050868de.jpg

I have also been having some problems with the Space Vertically and Space Horizontally buttons.

Using a train track analogy...  In the upper image I had created a series of diagonal lines (the ties) mostly using the power duplicate.  But I did tweak them a little trying to get them to lie between the other two lines (the tracks).

I had created the tracks by making one line then duplicating it and moving it a certain distance, so these lines are parallel and straight.

I selected all the ties then clicked on the Space Vertically button then the Space Horizontally button.  This caused the positions of the ties to bow as can be seen in the bottom image.  Why?  Shouldn't they have lined up if the first and last are between the tracks?  

I used the Space Vertically and Space Horizontally buttons added to the toolbar via the Customize Toolbar function.

Attached is my file.

The bounding box for each of the ties is exactly the same size.  0.5165 in x 0.1111 in.

post-2932-0-06913700-1459704211_thumb.jpg

test.afdesign

FYI I then tried from the menu Layer>Alignment>Distribute Horizontally and Layer>Alignment>Distribute Vertically and the result was what I expected the ties are between the tracks without a bow.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

I selected all the ties then clicked on the Space Vertically button then the Space Horizontally button.  This caused the positions of the ties to bow as can be seen in the bottom image.  Why?  

Beause they are all different.

Beause they are all different.

Oval, please elaborate.  What all, the "ties"?  The processes Layer>Alignment>Distribute... vs Space...?

Oval, you are right it is the slight angular difference.  

Why would that cause problems using the Space H & V buttons when it doesn't using the Layer>Alignment>Distribute H & V?  Then I guess that brings up the question what do each of these spacing/distribute processes look at for the spacing?  If it were the center then it shouldn't make a difference, the slope variance would just cause each line to still center on the tracks so I guess the Layer>Alignment>Distribute H & V probably uses the center.  It can't be any extremes, or the extremes would still line up.  Some how a less than 1.6 degree slope variance is causing a 4.6% offset.

MEB, why is that?  What is the difference in the process of the Space H & V vs the Layer>Alignment>Distribute H & V?

Why would that cause problems using the Space H & V buttons when it doesn't using the Layer>Alignment>Distribute H & V?

Which problems? Everything is mathematically correct.

What is the difference in the process of the Space H & V vs the Layer>Alignment>Distribute H & V?

If you do not need the algorithms, please have a look into Affinity Help.