You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi.

I am sorry if this has been asked before but I have searched the forum and cannot find an answer for this.

I have been happily using AP for several months and learning lots, and have now got to a stage where I am finalising several bits of work. When I work in Photoshop before going further I would go to File Info and then add the image info such as title, description, relevant searchable keywords, and then add all my copyright info and my url, so once it goes out my image has relevant metadata attached to it to help protect it and identify it should people need to contact me. 

I cannot find out how I do this ANYWHERE in AP and it is a basic but really critical element to the process.

Please can someone advise me where and how I access the file info section for images so I can add this information. I have even converted AP images into jpegs etc and searched that way in case this option only becomes visible with more recognised file types but with no luck.

I cannot believe a programme as smart as Affinity has not built this in, as in this day and age it is really important to protect your copyright and also allow your image to become searchable with key words.

Thanks in advance for your help

What sort of third party products, as I have not had to do this before so would not know how to start and then add it in? If you can advise what I should start looking for it would be appreciated.

Will this be functionality that you are going to add in the future?

GraphicsConverter 9 has provisions for editing/adding Exif & IPTC metadata, including copyrights, contact info, & so on. Below are screenshots of two of the tabs accessible from the File > Edit File Info (IPTC) menu item:

post-3524-0-21698000-1459424971_thumb.png post-3524-0-29004300-1459424979_thumb.png

It costs almost as much as an Affinity app but it does include batch processing, extensive Applescript support, etc.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

simpler and less powerful, i'd suggest "Exif Editor" from the apple store.it's very good when working on an image at a time and can handle a bunch of images, but it does not do batch afaik. nayway, it costs around 10$.

if you feel geeky, you can use the super-powerful exiftool, freely downloadable from http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/. with some shell or applescript scripting, it can be turned in a batch beast. i recently discovered that a graphical interface is available (at https://hvdwolf.github.io/pyExifToolGUI/) but i've never used it (yet) so i can't comment on it.

take care,

stefano

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I am new to this forum. I am unable to access, edit, and/or view metadata associated with images in Affinity Photo v1.5.1. I note that the most recent post on this topic (within this forum) is dated March, 2016 (nearly a year ago). At that point, a post by "MEB" indicated: "Currently there's no way to edit/add metadata info inside Affinity Photo." As of today (Feb. 8, 2017) I am unable to access, edit, and/or view metadata within Affinity Photo. Has this feature been added to Affinity Photo sometime during the past year (or not)? I would be most appreciative for any help in relation to working with metadata within Affinity Photo. As a professional photographer, being able to access, view, and edit metadata remains a vital and necessary element to working with images that are posted online in a public setting. (i.e.- Copyright, Copyright URL, Rights Usage info, etc.)

Many thanks for any help that might be provided...

rebellatimer.

Thanks very much for your confirmation. I think that, unfortunately, the lack of metadata support will ultimately prove to be a deal breaker for Affinity Photo within my workflow. It'd sure be nice to know whether or not metadata support is even on Affinity.serif's radar. Can't imagine why it has been somehow overlooked to this point.

rebellatimer,

As far as I know, the only kind of photo metadata Affinity Photo currently supports is displaying any existing embedded EXIF metadata (in the View > Studio > EXIF panel) plus adding to or editing only the EXIF Description field. I think XMP, IPTC extensions, etc. are not supported at all, other than (maybe) displaying (but not editing) that metadata in the "Raw Data" display of the EXIF panel.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks for the in-depth description. Hopefully, Affinity will eventually consider metadata beyond the limited capability of display, only. Being able to add (and edit) Copyright info, a Copyright URL, specific Rights Use info, etc. is a key aspect of any workflow involving the potential for on-line posting of images. For now I guess I'll have to stick with Photoshop.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the in-depth description. Hopefully, Affinity will eventually consider metadata beyond the limited capability of display, only. Being able to add (and edit) Copyright info, a Copyright URL, specific Rights Use info, etc. is a key aspect of any workflow involving the potential for on-line posting of images. For now I guess I'll have to stick with Photoshop.

There are $10 third party exif editors. Give those authors a couple of $. Problem solved, and Serif doesn't have to waste time re-inventing the wheel.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

AFAI remember when looking into the AP Win trial, there was already a version of Phil Harvey's "exiftool" included in the installed AP distribution. This one would at least allow from a command line to edit/write EXIF, IPTC, XMP ... data. - It can be easily used/accessed/automated via Windows powershell, Apple automation or other scripting environments for writing custom needed data into images.

Further there are also some GUI frontends and other tools already available for exiftool ...

• See "Related Utilities" for Windows and Mac OS X on the "exiftool" website.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• 1 month later...

It would appear that Adobe Bridge is now available as a free download. This will allow metadata entry and editing, including presets. I use it as my fist port of call in my workflow to enter metadata before any editing.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

• 1 year later...

I think that be able to edit or at least add EXIF info to files should be treated as priority in Affinity Photo and Design. 
I suggest to add in Options a field to enter Copyright information that will be added to any new file you create.

Affinity Desinger & Photo | Macbook Pro 13" Early 2015 | macOS Sierra 10.12.6 | Intel Core i5 2.7GHz | 8GB RAM | Intel Graphics 6100 1536MB

• 1 month later...
On 7/15/2018 at 5:53 PM, FernandoRosa said:

I think that be able to edit or at least add EXIF info to files should be treated as priority in Affinity Photo and Design. 
I suggest to add in Options a field to enter Copyright information that will be added to any new file you create.

I second this request. It's an important feature to editing photos; simple steps to help ensure that someone doesn't steal your hard work is important, and shouldn't need a seperate (paid) program to do so. 

31 minutes ago, neelhtaky said:

... simple steps to help ensure that someone doesn't steal your hard work is important ...

Editing or adding EXIF metadata won't do that because it is trivially easy for anyone to change or delete it.

Affinity Photo 

• 3 weeks later...