You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What is the reason for ...

I noticed that AP will not allow me to export an image as a tiff with a .tif suffix. It will allow me to use .tiff, but not .tif.

I am sure there is a reason for this restriction, but I do not know what it is. Can someone please help me here?

Mike

This may help. TIF and TIFF are the same exact thing
TIF is used in legacy file systems that use the 8.3 naming convention while TIFF is used in newer file systems that allow long filenames. Thus you are not losing ant data from the file.

Mike

Mike

This may help. TIF and TIFF are the same exact thing

TIF is used in legacy file systems that use the 8.3 naming convention while TIFF is used in newer file systems that allow long filenames. Thus you are not losing ant data from the file.

Mike

I guess my question, and the reason I asked it, was not clear. Sorry. Perhaps the following is clearer.

While I normally use CaptureOne to edit my images, with AP as the external editor, I also have Dxo's Optics Pro. When I use it instead of C1 and when I send an tif to AP, if I try to export the tif back to Optics Pro I am only offered the tiff suffix, not the tif suffix. OP does not understand the tiff suffix so I have to export it as "tiff" and then manually change the suffix to "tif". Clearly being able to export as "tif" would make my life easier and that was the reason for my question, not a misunderstanding about the "tif" and "tiff" image types.

Sorry for the confusion. Perhaps this is clearer.

Sorry, I misunderstood. I have not used either of the programs you addressed in you reply. I have only used the Dxo's editing features for Mac Photos. I did go to Dxo's web site and their current Dxo's Optics Pro 10 does support .tiff files both 8 & 16 bit..

Sorry I can't help

The problem is not that Optics Pro does not really "understand" the file. If I send a tif to AP, edit it and then export it back in tif format to the same folder that it came from, but using the "tiff" suffix (since that is all I can do with AP), Optics Pro will not display the file (and I am using the latest version of Optics Pro). Here is a screen shot:

post-5675-0-02831200-1459296328_thumb.jpg

If I then go to the file system and change the suffix from "tiff" to "tif" Optics Pro will then display the file properly. It is not that it can not use the AP format, only that it does not like the "tiff" suffix and refuses to display the thumbnail.

Except I have not seen a response of any sort from the AP people as of this morning. It does seem a little odd to me that an app with such amazing functionality and as complete as AP has such a seemingly silly restriction. Perhaps there is a reason, but I don't know what it might be.

• 2 weeks later...

Mike- was just in Dxo OP 9, and under the Preferences>Process menu, there is a dropdown to select the the tif or tiff extension you wish to use, not sure if that helps.  Also, at least DxO OP 9 seems to open .tiff files fine - maybe they changed that in 10, but see if changing the pref helps.

DonatoF:

No, it is still there, but that just changes the problem from not recognizing "tiff" to not recognizing "tif". The basic problem is that most of my software creates tiff files with the "tif" suffix but AP creates "tiff" files and I would just be switching one problem for another. The simplest solution (for me) would be if AP would allow me to save tiff files with a "tif" suffix when exporting them and then all of my photo software would be in sync.

I would be satisfied if AP even allowed me to change the specified suffix from "tiff" to "tif" manually during the save, but it will not allow me to do that and I just don't understand why. In what seems truly odd to me, if I try to change the suffix from "tiff" to "tif" APB tells me that (1) I cannot use "tif" and (2) if I want, it will create a file with a "tif.tiff" suffix, as though that is going to be some help. I had expected some response from one of the APB staff, but no one from Serif has responded at all.

Still, thanks for the post and for trying to help.

hmm, just as an additional data point, my DxO OP 9 recognizes and opens both .tif and .tiff files regardless of the setting of that menu item. I do get the "?" icon sometimes for them like in your screen capture, but if I wait a while it loads a preview eventually and will open the file.  Have you checked the DxO forums for any issue in OP 10?  But I agree, you should be able to create whichever extension fits your workflow better.  

hmm, just as an additional data point, my DxO OP 9 recognizes and opens both .tif and .tiff files regardless of the setting of that menu item. I do get the "?" icon sometimes for them like in your screen capture, but if I wait a while it loads a preview eventually and will open the file.  Have you checked the DxO forums for any issue in OP 10?  But I agree, you should be able to create whichever extension fits your workflow better.  

Interesting.

I have not just sat and waited to see if it would eventually open the file. When it presented the "?" (which it does almost all the time for me) I open the browser and change the suffix manually. I will test this, however, and report back.

As for APB itself, I don't understand why no one from the development staff has responded to this post. I just don't see why APB makes that kind of restriction and no one from Serif has explained it.

hmm, just as an additional data point, my DxO OP 9 recognizes and opens both .tif and .tiff files regardless of the setting of that menu item. I do get the "?" icon sometimes for them like in your screen capture, but if I wait a while it loads a preview eventually and will open the file.  

You never know.

There was a new OP release available (10.5.4) and I downloaded and installed it. Once I updated OP this problem seems to have gone away and I am not (yet) even getting the "?" icon - it is just opening the image.

Perhaps the problem has been fixed on the OP side in this new release. I always got the "?" icon before. Always.

DonatoF:

I use Carbon Copy Cloner for my backups and, out of curiosity, I booted off of my previous backup, started Optics Pro and exported an image to APB. I then made some changes and exported it back to the folder it came from with the "tiff" suffix and, sure enough, it gave me the "?" icon. I then left the machine and went off to do other things and, when I came back some time later (longer than 5 minutes, less than 10) I still had the "?" icon so it did not load the preview as your version 9 did.

So something has changed as this problem has disappeared on my current system. I have updated Optics Pro in between the two and perhaps there have been some other changes on the system as I also installed other updates in addition to Optics Pro. I simply don't know what caused the problem but it seems to be gone now. I have repeatedly gone through the process of exporting and I have not seen the problem recur on my current system, just as I never saw it not happen on my old.

I am just glad for the change, whatever actually caused it. Thanks for your post.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.