You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.4.2 - Beta 4)

• Staff

Purpose: Fixes

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Designer

Mac App Store: Not submitted

Download: Here

Firstly, please accept our apologies for the interruption in the Beta program - this was an accident, we will learn from this and continue to improve.

To use this beta, simply download the file from the link given above and double-click on the file to open the installer. Follow the instructions to install the beta version. The beta sits alongside the Mac App Store version and will not interfere with it.

This is an Incremental Bug-Fix release - it should be considered more stable than the current MAS version (1.4.1) and should be used in preference to that build, if you are experiencing any of the problems listed below.

Fixes

- Fix for scaling issues during copy/paste of text items

- Improved RTF clipboard support so that InDesign is happier

- Slightly thinner Text Tool caret

- Don't output file path to PDF export, only use file name (for improved privacy)

- Fix for line weight incorrectly scaling based on object size when applying Styles even when 'Scale with object' was deselected in the Stroke panel

Thank you, Matt …  :)

By the way, while you are at it, here are three little details:

• Whenever you duplicate an artboard (Cmd+J), select the Move Tool and click the artboard title on the canvas in order to move the duplicate to another place, you will always grab the original artboard which is underneath the duplicate and move this one … that is a little strange …
  • It seems that the settings for the File > Open … dialogue (particularly the window size) are not preserved under app relaunch. But it is great to have the option of adjusting these settings once and for all. When you have several large document folders, it is always a bit tedious to resize the dialogue windows every time after relaunching the app in order to see the folder contents at one glance …
  • And an older request … would it be possible to disable the dynamic snapping guidelines, whenever the caret cursor is blinking in a text frame (or a portion of text is highlighted) and the mouse pointer is hovering over the respective text frame. The snapping guidelines are completely useless in this case, since you cannot draw a new text frame under these circumstances, but only reposition the caret or select another portion of text.

Hope that makes sense …  :)

Thanks, Alex 

post-1198-0-82488200-1459332808_thumb.png

Expand stroke and some of boolean functions (divide) is still generating unwanted complexity and in some cases extra "pieces" see attached images.  For the type of complicated slice and dice workflow I have, this is very problematic and a show stopper for all but the simplest forms. LOVING the effects and shading workflow, path editing is still not where it should be and my hope is that some of these vector basics will be dealt with and rise to the same level soon. :-)

post-305-0-07439900-1459356041_thumb.png

post-305-0-44326100-1459356048_thumb.png

Beta crashed three times today when I try to print a document with some artboards.

Using OS-X El Capitan 10.11.3 (15D21)

EDIT1: Seems to crash every second try. The print-dialog shows only 1 page of the 13 artboards and app is no longer responding to the system.

Beta crashed three times today when I try to print a document with some artboards.

Using OS-X El Capitan 10.11.3 (15D21)

EDIT1: Seems to crash every second try. The print-dialog shows only 1 page of the 13 artboards and app is no longer responding to the system.

Could be related to artboard's naming issue. Duplicating artboards wont change the name, so it is not printable/selectable in print dialogs if You have more then one artboard with the same name.

This helped me to resolve  crashing on printing.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I don't mean to put pressure but as the beta releases have a one month expiration baked into them and since the last beta was release on 30th March, we have approximately 4 days left?

I know you are busy with the 1.5 code but just a heads up just in case this slips through again.

Cheers,

Nana

Cheers Matt,

I was just wondering … will that guides-are-not-duplicated-when-artboards-are-duplicated issue be resolved in the next App Store version? Or will that fix be part of version 1.5?

Anyway, I fear I am constantly misusing Affinity Designer for DTP applications … it’s just too handy …  ;)

Kindest regards, Alex  :)

• Staff

Hi Alex :)

About 30 minutes after we built the Beta 4 update I finally managed to get Guides to move around with their Artboards and I believe the issue is fixed as of the Beta 5 update that I'm hoping we can get out the door today... There are a lot of other 'bits and pieces' fixed in the Beta 5 update too, so I think we'll push that to the store for approval too - as long as it behaves itself! :)

Thanks,

Matt

• Staff

Expand stroke and some of boolean functions (divide) is still generating unwanted complexity and in some cases extra "pieces" see attached images.  For the type of complicated slice and dice workflow I have, this is very problematic and a show stopper for all but the simplest forms. LOVING the effects and shading workflow, path editing is still not where it should be and my hope is that some of these vector basics will be dealt with and rise to the same level soon. :-)

I couldn't agree more - the Expand Stroke will be worked on very soon, I've just been trying to get a few new things working nicely for the 1.5 beta, but I will not let these functions slide, I know they need to be better and I do intend to address this.

Thanks,

Matt

Hi Alex :)

About 30 minutes after we built the Beta 4 update I finally managed to get Guides to move around with their Artboards and I believe the issue is fixed as of the Beta 5 update that I'm hoping we can get out the door today... There are a lot of other 'bits and pieces' fixed in the Beta 5 update too, so I think we'll push that to the store for approval too - as long as it behaves itself! :)

Thanks,

Matt

New Beta today... new beta todayyy.... new beta today...  :lol:  :D  ^_^  B)  B)

UI Designer, CG Artist

Macbook Pro 15" 2014

2.5 Ghz, 750M

https://www.behance.net/VladMafteiuScai

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.