You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello, I am working on a poster for a school project using Affinity Designer. I am trying to export it to PDF but I keep getting the following error message:

An error occurred while exporting to:

/Users/Michael/Desktop/GEOL429_poster-II copy.pdf

I've searched the forum for similar issues but I couldn't find any (or I'm terrible at searching).

It's probably the largest file I've worked with (dimension-wise) at 1.5 m x 0.9 m, which is probably why it's not exporting. But I made one back in December at 0.9 x 0.6 m that was almost certainly a larger file due to using more graphical content. I was wondering if anybody had run into this problem before or had any possible solutions? I have trouble believing that Affinity Designer is not capable of this task (since it rocks at everything else).

Thanks for any ideas.

Hi, and welcome, Michael. Apart from technical export issues which others are much better qualified to comment on, perhaps you should first find out whether it is just pure size (quantity of data) or complexity of data which could be the issue. You could check size by literally making it smaller, but as it's an AD project (vectors) that may not tell you everything.

However AD files can contain rasterised areas, so there may still be a clue there. As to complexity, you might de-select some of any more complex layers and then try to export again (which isn't going to tell you much if your poster is made up of relatively simple vector constructs).

Then there is the ugly prospect of corruption somewhere: do you have a succession of earlier versions which you can try to export until you find the version which fails? If so, you may be able to reduce the tedious elimination of particular vector layers and groups. 

There might be a bug in there and we would all be delighted if the amazing Affinity team could trace and fix it, but they would need to examine your file  :unsure: .

So I started with a new file, and slowly added assets and mixed and matched assets while exporting to see where it would no longer export. I got to the point where I had all of my graphics, title, authors, and background image, but as soon as I added my bulleted text I get these errors again. The progress bar for exporting will go to about 50% before it gets that error. I can export it to .psd and open it in Pixelmator and export it to PDF, but at that point, the text isn't selectable and the graphics have been rasterized which is what I was hoping to avoid. 

The file size prior to adding the text is about 25 Mb, so I don't think I should be running out of memory? Will there be a significant reduction in quality by printing from a PNG over a PDF?

Okay, so I can export to SVG and then open it in Designer and export it to PDF, all the text is selectable, very little rasterization. It's too bad about the extra step, but it's an infinite times better than me having to download a different program that I don't know my way around.

I could upload the file but it is over 200 Mb.

Hi michael-raiwet. It may be that your use of the San Francisco font is the problem. That particular font is restricted to Developers (iOS and OS X) for a better OS look and feel. It isn't intended for the rest of us to use in our publications and doesn't work properly there.

From the SFr usage Ts & Cs:

“Important note: the Apple San Francisco font is to be used solely for creating mock-ups of user interfaces to be used in software products running on Apple’s iOS or OS X operating systems, as applicable.”

Swap San Francisco for another font and try again. So far as I know Open Sans is not restricted in this way.

I noticed the file name has space in it, did you accidentally added that while you were typing this post?

If it was that font (San francisco) I learned just yesterday there is an option when you export to curve all text..

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Staff

Hello terrox, 叶睿超,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Please create a new thread in the Bugs in Affinity Designer & Affinity Photo, attach the problematic afdesign or afphoto file and tell us what export settings (or preset) you are using so we can follow each issue in its own thread. Thanks.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 5:42 PM, rokudamerlin said:

have the same problem .. thats not cool ..  cant export have 3tb freespace and 32gb ram and i7, win 10 pro ... what is the problem from the program ? i want export pdf (for print) standart options .. pls help is important

I have exactly the same problem with the last version.

• 6 months later...

I just experienced this problem for the first time.
I tested it out in Affinity Designer and Publisher and both could not export it.
I incrementally deleted each object until it would export, the suspect object was a standard square shape with a color fill. The strange thing is that Affinity Designer thought the box was a text layer. Would you like me to upload the file somewhere or have enough files been submitted to review this big/issue?

• Staff

Hi Izzy,
Regarding the text layer it's possible the square was converted to a text frame. This happen when you click with the Text Frame Tool in a regular shape. It would be nice if you could attach the original file from which you are exporting the PDF. I can provide you an upload link if you wish to keep the file private. The other replies on this thread are quite old.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Same problem since I upgraded to Catalina (on an external SSD)

The "export to Print (for print) instead of the Print (X-4)" tip from Mike Demana did not work for me, but the "convert typefaces to Curves" worked fine, thanks Radim108 (see screen capture of the dialog, in French 😉)

Patrick

1100375909_Affinity_Publisher_-_plaquette_activits_de_groupes_alsh_2020__133_5__.png.2a260aded0d802762e934b3265c4122d.png

• 1 year later...

I am trying to convert a newsletter with hyperlinks to a .pdf and I keep getting an error.  It says, "An error occurred while exporting to: "file name".  I have tried several of the items listed here, and although exporting to the .png and then to a .pdf did work - my hyperlinks will not work.  I have done this several times in the past with no issues.  Even larger file sizes (due to more photos in those files).  I just cannot figure out what is going on?

2022 Newsletter Vol III, Issue I.afpub