You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Not Switching Out of Outline Mode?

I am relatively new to Affinity. The program has been running smoothly until recently when I went to open a files .ai and .pdf and they opened in outline mode. I see a blank screen until I highlight the image. Once highlighted, the image is outlined only.

Does anyone know how to switch this back so that I can work with the actual image?

I have already checked and unchecked the outline mode button. I attached a photo of the program when I open and highlight the image. 

Help!

post-29148-0-29752500-1459187764_thumb.png

I have seen something similar, but only when opening some old .eps files. For me, the problem was not that AD was stuck in outline mode; it was that for some reason the objects in these files were on a layer positioned well outside of the document's canvas size.

For example, a group of old T-Maker eps files I opened dating from the early 1990's all had canvas sizes of around 60 by 40 pixels, but everything was in a layer positioned at an X value of around 640 px & a Y value of around -1200 px. This put them in the black area outside the canvas, producing the same effect as in your screen shot.

The fix was simple: after selecting the layer, with the Move tool selected change both the X & Y values in the Transform panel to 0 (zero) & then use zoom to fit (cmd + 0) to see at least part of the layer in the white canvas area. After doing that, dragging and/or resizing the layer to get everything inside the canvas was sometimes required, but was easily done with the Move tool.

If something similar is happening with your files, grouping all the layers together or just selecting them all before applying the X & Y value changes will probably work for you.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7