You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

CR3 files are opening with "vignette masks" and circular highlights

Hello!

I'm currently trying to edit some CR3 files from my Canon R but the files are launching with a black "vignette mask" already imposed on them and the outer areas have overexposed highlights. Not sure what's causing this or how to get rid of them. 

I just purchased Affinity 2 as I felt I was forced to upgrade from 1 as that's where I first noticed the problem but the mask was blue instead of black and I couldn't update the software. 

Any help is appreciated.

Affinity_Black Vignette.JPG

Hi @Xamora and welcome to the forums,

Are you able to upload one of the CR3 files exhibiting this behaviour so we can take a look at what might be going on?

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

I've seen this before where the individual was using an EF-S lens with a Canon mount adapter to mount it to their R body.  It displays OK in Canon DPP, but not in Affinity Photo.

You should be able to get rid of the vignette mask in the Affinity Photo Develop persona by going to the Lens panel and unchecking "Remove Lens Vignette".  However, I'm not sure whether they are any other issues as I use Canon DPP.

It looks like the RAW was opened without applying a lens profile / displaying the entire content of the sensor. – What if you activate lens correction and choose a profile?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

@- S - That worked! I did use an EF-S lens and unchecked it as suggested. *PHEW I honestly was beginning to think my files were corrupt somehow. 

@thomaso I tried using your suggestion but by default, it already had lens correction "on" and auto selected the correct lens. When I turned it off, the image slightly got "smaller", or had less of a "fish-eye" affect.

@Hangman Even though a solution was found, I attached an .CR3 file for you or anyone else to look at to see for yourselves what I was experiencing. 

Thank you all for your help! :)

IMGL3385.CR3

FWIW, I tried the raw file in Photo and got a vignette like your example, except it was blue. However, it opens properly in the other three raw editors I have installed (ART, darktable and RawTherapee).

Len
Affinity Photo 2 | QCAD 3 | FastStone | SpyderX Pro | FOSS:  ART darktable  XnView  RawTherapee  Inkscape  G'MIC  LibreOffice
Windows 11 on a 16 GB, Ryzen 5700 8-core laptop with a cheesy little embedded AMD GPU

Canon T8i / 850D | Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM | Canon EF 70-200mm F4 L USM | Rikenon P 50mm f/1.7 | K&F Concept Nano-X filters
...desperately looking for landscapes in Nolandscapeland        https://www.flickr.com/photos/14015058@N07/

3 hours ago, lphilpot said:

FWIW, I tried the raw file in Photo and got a vignette like your example, except it was blue.

Does it work in AP if you try what @- S - suggested earlier?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Does it work in AP if you try what @- S - suggested earlier?

Yes, disabling lens correction removes the vignette.

Len
Affinity Photo 2 | QCAD 3 | FastStone | SpyderX Pro | FOSS:  ART darktable  XnView  RawTherapee  Inkscape  G'MIC  LibreOffice
Windows 11 on a 16 GB, Ryzen 5700 8-core laptop with a cheesy little embedded AMD GPU

Canon T8i / 850D | Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM | Canon EF 70-200mm F4 L USM | Rikenon P 50mm f/1.7 | K&F Concept Nano-X filters
...desperately looking for landscapes in Nolandscapeland        https://www.flickr.com/photos/14015058@N07/

@Xamora I've used the lensfun data but changed the crop factor to 1. The vignette no longer occcurs and the correction matches Photolab very well. Hope it's of use

CanonEosR_EF-S_55-250f4-5.6IS-II.xml IMGL3385dxo.zip

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

• 5 months later...

It makes no sense to me that "Remove Lens Vignette" would in fact result in a vignette. It is definitely a bug in the application since most RAW photos have "Remove Lens Vignette" set and in fact there is no vignette. I'm going to take a guess that the application at least for the Canon EF-S 18-55mm lens flips logic on the Lens Vignette selection at lower focal lengths. This issue caused me several hours of research since the Affinity Help documentation mentions almost nothing about Lens Vignetting.

Welcome to the forums @G Story :)

Sorry to hear you're having this problem. I have numerous Canon CR2 RAW files shot using the EF-S 18-55. I've used it on a couple of Canon's Crop Sensor cameras. I've not seen, and been able to replicate this. There's a few reasons that could cause this.

Are you using a Lens Hood on the lens? Is it one that is designed for that lens, and/or focal length? The lens hood can cause what appears to be vignette. You could try a few shots without the lens hood and see if you get the same effect in AP.

Are you attempting to use the EF-S lens on a Full Frame camera body? Not recommended for one, as it could damage the camera. The mount is not made for full frame. However I do believe there are some adapters that would allow it. This also could provide a vignette.

Could you have accidentally selected the Post Crop Vignette, which is just below the Remove Lens Vignette?

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

This does not occur with all photos taken with this camera and lens. Currently it's set up to generate a CR3 and a JPEG. The JPEG does not show any vignetting. I use the Canon adapter for the EF-S lens and a quick review seems to indicate this only happens with wide focal lengths, greater than 25 mm. Post Crop Vignette is not set. I'm an electrical/software engineer and this has all the ear marks of logic error in the Affinity 2 code. I can bandaid the issue but where there is one bug, there are likely more.

1 hour ago, G Story said:

I use the Canon adapter for the EF-S lens and a quick review seems to indicate this only happens with wide focal lengths, greater than 25 mm.

So the obvious question is if only happens with those wide focal lengths, doesn't that suggest it is inherently that combination of lens focal lengths & adapter that is causing the vignetting, not some programming error in AP?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

It doesn't appear to be a camera optical issue since the JPEG copy does not have a vignette and the key piece of data is that unchecking the "Remove Lens Vignette" actually removes the vignette. This points to an Affinity software logic issue.

The embedded JPEG preview image is not, nor is it intended to be, a 100% accurate copy of the sensor data in an undeveloped RAW CR3 file. More info about the sensor data in a RAW file & how it can be converted to a usable image can be found at https://affinityspotlight.com/article/raw-actually/.

This should help explain why the vignetting actually is occurring on the sensor with these wider focal lengths & why it shows up as such in AP.

Affinity Photo 

This is 100% an Affinity Photo issue...

RAW File Opened in Affinity Photo

AffinityPhoto.thumb.png.779d77d7d68ca33ce1fa6b2a16c3df00.png

RAW File Opened in Capture One

CaptureOne.thumb.png.681fb4512c606500e2f34904de0a971e.png

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

1 hour ago, G Story said:

This points to an Affinity software logic issue.

You may well be correct but could you post a raw file that is giving you a problem

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

Hi @G Story,

Attempting to open your CR3 in Photo 2.4.1 crashes the app but opening in an earlier version shows the same issue...

Affinity Photo with 'Remove Lens Vignette' Deselected

AffinityPhoto.thumb.png.169d92acfc96248e67ab70a13c2946f7.png

Capture One

CaptureOne.thumb.png.b1d152573ff709868672fb5af60243af.png

Same fix as for the earlier one. I've used the lensfun data but changed the crop factor to 1. The vignette no longer occurs. Something weird about EF-S lenses in lensfun, they're APS-C lenses but need the crop=1 not 1.6. image.jpeg.aef5201d4a03a7434295968608f7dae3.jpegHope it's of use

CanonEF-S18-55.xml

32 minutes ago, David in Яuislip said:

Something weird about EF-S lenses in lensfun, they're APS-C lenses but need the crop=1 not 1.6.

Maybe because the EOS R5 in your screenshot has a full sized sensor? – With an APS-C camera + EF-S lens I don't experience the issue.

EF-SAPS-C.thumb.jpg.0cf7a18ab01173a1d08fd39b69b85a4d.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

13 hours ago, thomaso said:

Maybe because the EOS R5 in your screenshot has a full sized sensor?

I believe that's the final piece of the jigsaw, expect the issue to be fixed in the next β

After a little more digging it looks like its an issue with Affinity and the lens profiles as pointed to in David in Ruslip's post. I tried to locate the lens profiles on my computer without any luck. Affinity claims that the profiles are uploaded with the application but even after deleting Affinity 2 and re-uploading the application I found no lens profiles. Either the profiles are included in the Affinity code and are not in a referenced folder and files, or it's pulling them off the internet (unlikely). Affinity provides no help with regard to the canned lens profiles. The Lensfun site only directs you to the Affinity web site.

That being said, the EOS R5 correctly identifies the lens as a Canon EF-S 15-55 f3.5-5.6 IS.  Selecting the Canon EF-S 15-55 f3.5-5.6 lens from the drop down instead of the IS eliminates the vignetting. This does essentially the same thing as changing the Crop Factor to 1.0 since that is the Lensfun Crop Factor for the Canon EF-S 15-55 f3.5-5.6 listing.

I think this comes down to a Lensfun issue with the Canon EF-S lens profiles and Affinity's use of that profile.

23 minutes ago, G Story said:

I tried to locate the lens profiles on my computer without any luck.

The list of profiles supported in the app can be seen on the popup menu in the Lens tab of in the Develop Persona, as mentioned in the Lens Correction help topic. I am not sure how or where it is stored in the app or its support files.

Affinity Photo 

36 minutes ago, G Story said:

Selecting the Canon EF-S 15-55 f3.5-5.6 lens from the drop down instead of the IS eliminates the vignetting

But that does very different correction here compared with the IS lens which was used in your case

On V1 the lens data is in C:\Program Files\Affinity\Photo\Resources\lens-correction-data.dat which is some sort of binary gibberish
Additional profiles can be placed in C:\ProgramData\Affinity\Photo\1.0\LensProfiles
These can include lensfun xml  files produced after the Photo version was released, which will supplement the builtins, or modified files which will supersede the builtins. Adobe lcp's can also be used but don't work well in my experience

So yeah, there's a problem with EF-S lenses on full frame bodies which can be fixed by changing the crop factor from 1.6 to 1 as I've done in the two xml's I've posted in this thread