You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Am I right in thinking Develop persona = Light Room?

• Staff

Hi amnesia,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The Develop Persona is where you convert/process RAW files. Lightroom does it but it's also an assets managements software - DAM - (it's able to manage libraries and apply settings to groups of images etc). Affinity Photo doesn't manage libraries. We will have a separate software specifically for that later.

I have tried unsuccessfully to open RAW files in Affinity photo and Develop persona. Downloaded images from the camera is stored in Photos and when I tried to open it from there I got a Jpeg file instead. What am I doing wrong?

• Staff

Hi lynxar,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

There's no way to send RAW images directly from Apple Photos to Affinity Photo since Apple Photos doesn't include an Edit in external editor functionality like Aperture or iPhotos. You have to do it manually. To export a RAW file from Apple Photos go to menu File ▸ Export ▸ Export Unmodified Original.... Then open it in Affinity Photo, edit the image and save in your preferred format. To import it back to Apple Photos go to menu File ▸ Import... and select the file or drag it from the Finder to Apple Photos.

There's an extension for Apple Photos called "External Editors" that allows to send an image directly from Apple Photos as a RAW to several apps/plug-ins but the edited version it's saved back as a JPG.