You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo opens RAW files in "wrong" dimension

Hello!

I am very enthusiastic about Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo and I am looking forward to future Affinity releases, Affinity Publisher and an Adobe Photoshop Lightroom kind of software...

Regarding Affinity Photo I am a bit puzzled as to how the software opens RAW files. I have a Sony A7s full-frame camera and, according to Adobe Photoshop Lightroom the dimension of the photos taken by that camera is 4240x2384. When, in Photoshop, you change that dimension into 1920, you should get 1080 as the right dimension and I do. That is to say, 16:9. But no, instead, Affinity Photo opens the file as a 4256x2848 file and the 1920x1080 gets 1920x1284. Which is not, as I see it, 16:9.

How is this possible?

I bought this full-frame camera as it offered the ability to take 16:9 photos. As long as Affinity Photo handles dimensions like this, I will not be able to leave Adobe Phtoshop and Adobe Photoshop Lightroom and just stay in the Affinity family.

I hope someone reading this is able to give me an explanation. Thank you very much in advance.

Helge Skogh.

• Staff

Hi hspeterpanhs,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

That's because other RAW converters clip off some of the data that camera manufacturers think may be unreliable. The Serif Labs RAW engine keep that data thus the additional pixels you're seeing. If you change to the Apple (Core Image RAW) instead in menu View ▸ Assistant Manager... (with a RAW image opened), you will get the same dimensions as the other RAW engines. You will need to reopen the RAW image for the new setting take effect.

MEB,

Is this possibly related to the "SRW Image Bug" topic?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hi hspeterpanhs,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

That's because other RAW converters clip off some of the data that camera manufacturers think may be unreliable. The Serif Labs RAW engine keep that data thus the additional pixels you're seeing. If you change to the Apple (Core Image RAW) instead in menu View ▸ Assistant Manager... (with a RAW image opened), you will get the same dimensions as the other RAW engines. You will need to reopen the RAW image for the new setting take effect.

If the image needs to be reopened when you change to the other Raw engine, it would be helpful if it were reopened automagically.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thank you for the answer.

I did as I was told and the width of the photo changed perfectly, but the height is still wrong. When I change into 1920, the height should pop into 1080. This is a must for anyone dealing with the 16:9 world. I often combine 1920x1080 film frames with 1920x1080 photos, in a slideshow.

I do think this is something you must consider regarding Affinity Photo. You are not alone, though. Pixelmator has the same issue.

Having to change this manually for each photo is a nightmare.

Kindest regards,

Helge Skogh.