You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Support for External Editor

It appears to me that the biggest problem with Affinity is not a lack of features, but a lack of compatibility. There are no presets, which means a lot of time has to be wasted creating your own which feels like reinventing the wheel;  and plugins are a huge problem as only Photoshop plugins are recognised, but in many cases to get those you need Photoshop installed. 

Every preset, and every plugin that can be used by Aperture/LightRoom/Photoshop is an argument against using Affinity, and I see this in real life. OnOne perfect Effects, for example, is available to my Aperture, and my LightRoom - but not my Affinity.

One way around this would be to make it possible to use an external editor in Affinity, as many plugins also have stand-alone versions. Are there any plans to do this?

• Staff

Hi Roaring Fish,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Photoshop plugin support is still in development. Some plug-ins already work, some are not recognised or may refuse to launch. Most plug-ins allow you to install them to a custom folder so you can still access them without Photoshop installed. In most cases we rely on plug-in developers interest and collaboration to get them working correctly. Letting them know you're interested in running your plug-ins in Affinity Photo may contribute to speed up their involvement.

I think that what Roaring Fish is asking for is the same thing that I'd like to see: Being able to call an external program to edit a pixel layer that -- after editing -- is reloaded by AP. One use case would be the NIK Collection. You could work in Affinity Photo to do some editing. You can then put the result into a new pixel layer which you can edit with any of the NIK tools (e. g. export it as TIFF-16, call one of the NIK tools, edit it there, save the same file and import the changed file as the same pixel layer in AP). That would be really helpful.

There is an App, External Editors for Photos, that allows full access to Affinity Photo via the Mac Photos App. It also allows access to the Nik Collection, which is a very interesting development, as well as any other Photo Editing or Display Apps on my iMac. It would be great if an App for 'External Editors for Affinity Photo' could be developed.

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

Hi allfive,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

You can either right-click on an image in Aperture then select Export ▸ Original... to export the RAW file to a folder and then import in to Affinity Photo or set an External Photo Editor in Aperture ▸ Preferences..., Export tab (on top). This last option lets you send the images in PSD or TIFF (both 8 and 16 bits) but it doesn't work quite well with Affinity Photo yet since we don't support layered Tiff's (coming later), and we don't overwrite PSD's by design (meaning Aperture can't keep track of the edited image after you save it since Photo will only allow you to save it in Photo's native format .afphoto).

So if you want to edit an image stored in Aperture (and don't mind to flatten the resulting TIFF in Affinity), right-click on it in Aperture and select Edit with Affinity Photo app.... Affinity Photo will start with the image loaded (or open it if it's already running) ready to be edited. Edit the image as you wish then select File ▸ Save - a dialog will appear saying the image contains non-pixel elements -, select Save Flattened to flatten the image before sending to Aperture. The edited image will appear in Aperture alongside the original.