You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm working on a book cover and the image I'm using on the front cover extends beyond the area needed. Do I use the crop tool to get rid of the excess or something else? If the crop tool, I am struggling to get it to work. I've tried to watch several of the instructional videos, but they move so quickly, I can't identify exactly how it's done! 

It would help if you told us if you using Affinity Photo or Designer. Assuming it is Photo, select the Crop tool & move the control handles on the edges inward to crop the image, then click the blue "Apply" button in the Context toolbar to crop to the size indicated by the outline around the photo.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I can think of several options you can use.  Select the one that fits your needs the best.

cropping the photo is an option. And you have detailed instructions on how to do that in Affinity Photo.

You can resize your document to match your book cover specs, then whatever goes over is irrelevant. 

You can resize your photo to fit, that way you are not cropping any wanted section of the photo for your cover. (move tool, drag to resize, as long as the layer is not locked)

You can set a mask.  

You could create an object, like a rectangle at the book cover's size and paste your image inside the object to effectively reposition and crop the photo.

And I'm sure there are probably many other methods, and most likely better. 

For a bookcover I think I would prefer using an Artboard in Affinity Designer, mostly because there are some very good tutorials covering that scenario. 

Good luck.

I'm working with Affinity. Thanks, got it cropped! 

I have nine layers. If I try to group them, the colors become faded! Should I just lock them without grouping? When I save it, the text and images will be embedded. Will the layers be automatically flattened, as well? 

I've never used a program as fabulous as this. Kudos to the creators!