You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Google Nik Collection is now free for everyone.

MEB

Only the macOS version can use plugins.

Is the iOS version currently unable to use any plugins at all, or does this restriction apply specifically to Google Nik Collection? :unsure:

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4 (iPad 7th gen)

• 2 months later...
On 24.3.2016 at 10:37 PM, MEB said:

Hi MacGueurle,

In the Plug-ins Search Folders you must enter the path where you have chosen to instal the plug-ins (the folder where the .plugin files are located - NOT the plugin support files/apps which by default are installed in a folder named Nik Collection inside the Applications folder).

Then click the Authorise Global button, then Authorise from the dialog that will appear. Finally tick Allow "Unknown" plugins to be used and restart Affinity.

Hi guys, I guess I need your help: not paying enough attention I told it to choose within the Applications folder instead of from the right folder INSIDE the Applications folder : now Affinity doesn't even start anymore, so I could fix this. Is there a preference-files hidden somewhere that I could just trash? What can I do? Thank you so much for any solution ..

• Staff

Hi Thomas G,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Press and hold ⌃(ctrl) while launching the application from Launchpad (or right-click the icon on the dock, press and hold ⌃(ctrl) and select Open) then press Clear from the dialog that will  appear (leave the default three check boxes checked). This will reset the app. You should then be able to run the app and set up the plugins again.

1 minute ago, MEB said:

Hi Thomas G,

Press and hold ⌃(ctrl) while launching the application from Launchpad (or right-click the icon on the dock, press and hold ⌃(ctrl) and select Open) then press Clear from the dialog that will  appear (leave the default three check boxes checked). You should then be able to set up the plugins again.

WOW, that was fast: thank you so much,MEG - I'll try right away .. :-)

• 1 month later...
16 minutes ago, Hofnaar said:

Google has given his NIK Collection to DxO Optics. They will improve and work on a new version for 2018. Hopefully free again.

https://nikcollection.dxo.com/

I can't imagine they would purchase this from Google and then distribute it for free, especially as it would compete with their existing products.

1 hour ago, Hofnaar said:

Google has given his NIK Collection to DxO Optics. They will improve and work on a new version for 2018. Hopefully free again.

https://nikcollection.dxo.com/

According to DPReview DxO acquires Nik Collection from Google and will continue to offer it for free... for now but doesn't say if they got it for free and how long exactly the collection will remain free. I tried the HDR Efex program but I was underwhelmed.

I am a DxO user and I hope they'll improve the products and make them compatible with DOP.

Nick

2 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

I can't imagine they would purchase this from Google and then distribute it for free, especially as it would compete with their existing products.

Well, the linked page does state, "The current Nik Collection will remain available for free" (but we obviously can't expect DxO to provide further enhancements without charging for them).

1 hour ago, MEB said:

Wow! Wasn't really expecting that one...

Me too neither!

Alfred spacer.png

I thought that this was very interesting as it also pertains to google who purchased Snapseed from Macphun. I have been using their products since I discovered Snapseed (something I no longer use since google acquisition).  

It appears that they are also targeting adobe. Over the past year they have become a multi platform company, are rebranding their name and setting their sites on an adobe replacement.  

They are no Affinity but they do have a good chance of doing what their blog is stating.  

https://macphun.com/blog/macphun-is-becoming-skylum

48 minutes ago, BananaRepublic said:

Switched from PS to Affinity, have Nik collection since then how do I get it to run with Affinity.

Installation problems and solutions are discussed in the first couple of pages of this thread.

Alfred spacer.png

On 11/3/2017 at 2:57 AM, laurentia said:

Hi, 

unfortunately, the plugins nik have become inoperative in version 1.6 despite their good statement in the prefs.

All 8 plugins are working for me on version 1.6.0.89 (Win 7 SP1).

Len

--------------------

Over the hill, and enjoying the glide.

• Staff

Hi elguato,

No, this is due to an incorrect configuration in Affinity Photo Preferences.

Remove any paths you may have in the Plugins Support Folders section, then click the Authorise Global button below and then Authorise again from the Finder dialog that will open.

You should only see a forward slash in the Plugins Support Folders section after this. Also make sure Allow "Unknown" plugins to be used is ticked.

If you still have trouble please post a screen capture of your Photoshop Plugins window from Affinity Photo Preferences so i can help you out.

1 hour ago, MEB said:

Hi elguato,

No, this is due to an incorrect configuration in Affinity Photo Preferences.

Remove any paths you may have in the Plugins Support Folders section, then click the Authorise Global button below and then Authorise again from the Finder dialog that will open.

You should only see a forward slash in the Plugins Support Folders section after this. Also make sure Allow "Unknown" plugins to be used is ticked.

If you still have trouble please post a screen capture of your Photoshop Plugins window from Affinity Photo Preferences so i can help you out.

thanks for your fast reply, I seem to be having issues with the plug-ins today, it worked fine before. removed the path and added again, authorized global but still same problem.

Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 12.43.16 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 12.44.26 AM.png